Katrina Burchett's Reviews > The Chosen One

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

May 11, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, books-i-own
Read from May 10 to 11, 2010

Thirteen year old Kyra Leigh Carlson lives in the Compound, a chain link fence separating her from the rest of the world. Her father has three wives and she has twenty brothers and sisters; Laura is the sister she’s closest to. Kyra likes a boy named, Joshua. She likes to read. And she likes to spend time alone in a Russian olive tree. She’s at peace when she’s high up in that tree – a hiding place she’s never shared with anyone - and she finds a bit of freedom on the days she secretly visits the Ironton County Mobile Library on Wheels to borrow books she’s forbidden to read. But she wants to escape the life she’s being forced to live; especially after she finds out she’s expected to marry her father’s sixty year old brother. Will she be able to think of a way out?

Kyra was a strong girl. She spoke up when adults wouldn’t and that was a good thing, but she was so brainwashed that she blamed herself for things that weren’t her fault. Poor sweet Kyra thought every little act would send her to hell because that was what she was taught by men who called themselves Apostles of the Lord. These men misinterpreted the Bible to suit their own way, controlling everyone around them. Women were belittled and treated as if their lives meant nothing, children were abused and people were killed. God is love; I didn’t see any. I shook my head with disbelief as I read this story and I was so disgusted by these old men who were making young girls their wives. They acted as if their rules and regulations were keeping Satan out of the compound but they were doing his work, so he was there.

The Chosen One was a fast-paced, page-turner and I really enjoyed the author’s writing style; parts of the story – when Kyra was speaking - were poetic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chosen One.

05/10/2010 page 91
42.72% "The author's writing is poetic :)"