Sonia's Reviews > Meat

1930362
Jul 19, 10

bookshelves: have
Read from July 14 to 19, 2010

I'm very surprised that this book was so generally highly-rated by its readers. I didn't particularly care for it, but I didn't hate it either. I did have considerable difficulty staying interested throughout the middle of the novel. The beginning was involving, primarily because I was still trying to confirm my suspicion that the cattle were indeed human. The ending was good because it was action-packed and impactful. The middle was like a bland soup. I kept picking up my spoon to eat, but mostly because I wanted dessert at the end, not necessarily because I was enjoying the soup.

I was disappointed that the author didn't really address the "exercises" and other enlightening actions that enabled Collins, Shanti, and his followers to manage an existence in which abstaining from nourishment actually caused them to become stronger. In fact, that entire angle of their belief system was irritating to me. Perhaps a loose end that D'Lacey forgot to tie off?

Additionally, I pretty much loathe anything preachy and while the novel itself wasn't overtly sermonizing, I found the afterword by D'Lacey to be soapbox-worthy.

However, it's fairly obvious that one of D'Lacey's intentions was to create a work that was disturbing, thought-provoking, and meaningful, which I do think he managed quite well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meat.