Tahleen's Reviews > The Map of True Places

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry

Apr 21, 10

bookshelves: adult-fiction

I read an ARC of this title, so I think my reading is a bit tainted because of all the errors and various other changes that might happen after it is proofed. This is the story of Zee Finch, who goes back to her hometown of Salem to care for her ailing father, who has Parkinson's. He recently broke up with his long-time partner, nicknamed Melville, who is like a second father to Zee. She's also dealing with the suicide of a patient of hers (she's a therapist) who reminded her of her mother, and her mother's own suicide years earlier.

I have to admit, I was getting a little tired of this book for a long time, but remembering The Lace Reader (which I really liked) I kept on going through it. My problems were the lack of action and the repetitiveness of words and phrases (which I'm assuming will be cleaned up in the actual book once it's published). But if you're feeling that way too, I'm telling you, hang in to the last 50 or so pages, it's so worth it. I give it three stars because of a combo of the boringness and then the completely satisfying ending.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map of True Places.

Arlene if Melville visited Maureen on Baker's Island in June, then how does Zee have a birthday in Sept.?