Matt's Reviews > Start of Darkness

Start of Darkness by Rich Burlew

Apr 21, 2010

read count: 2

Holy crap, I feel dirty for having read about how the bad guys got so bad. As always, Burlew is a master at storytelling and humor, and turning cliches on their heads.
My favorite quote from the main Evil guy: "I know people think I'm stupid. Because [I didn't earn my power:]. Because I get bored easily. Because I have no interest in strategy or tactics or contingency planning....Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide."
Also, I really enjoyed the moral tainting of the second in command. He starts off as a defender of his people and the power behind the throne, and is eventually confronted with his betrayal of his people: "You're willing to throw good lives after bad so that you don't have to admit that we were wrong... in the first place..." (Sound familiar?)
All this couched in between a scene in Taco Night and continual breaking of the fourth wall and jokes about the hero's absent father: "Did you say 'childREN'?".
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Start of Darkness.

06/06/2016 marked as: read