Josie's Reviews > The Fountain Overflows

The Fountain Overflows by Rebecca West

Jun 02, 10

Recommended for: Lydia, Gemma
Read in June, 2010

The Fountain Overflows is a pretty simple story, a family of four growing up before WWI in the London suburbs, three older sisters and a littlest brother. They have no money, their father is a brilliant writer but always ruins them by gambling in the stock market. Their mother is performing a sisyphean feat in keeping them afloat and "out of the work house" while training them to be concert pianists. It is narrated by Rose, a middle kid and twin. It is something like Little House on the Prairie as Mamma in The Fountain Overflows is heroic like Pa. It is also something like The Pursuit of Love though here they are poor, but there is a bucolic house teeming with family just the same.

I would say if you asked that I don't like books about children, but perhaps I just don't like books about adolescent boys!

I could read anything by Rebecca West, proven by the fact that the first thing I read of hers was just a meditation on the loveliness of her cat! I mean really, who else has the power to make one's own cat a subject of general interest?

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fountain Overflows.