Amanda's Reviews > Monsters of Men

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

May 27, 10

bookshelves: 2010, favorites
Read from May 21 to 27, 2010

What an ending! The events that happened were just - I never saw them coming! And I'm so sad it's over. It's feels like when your favourite TV show ends and you know you're still going to be thinking about it for years to come and wish that you could experience it all again for the first time. Things moved a bit slower in this one for a little while but it was completely necessary to really put you in the mindset of the narrators. The major scenes were amazingly described, painting a vivid picture in my (lack of) imagination. We get to see some really new depths to the characters in how they change and adapt in an increasingly dangerous world. The Mayor for one always had a surprise trick up his sleeve which makes you love to hate him.

We get introduced to a new voice here, one of the Spackle, so all sides of the wars are told with Viola with The Answer and Todd with The Ask. The differences between each of the people is so varied, it's really quite marvellous. I loved viewing the war through the Spackle's eyes and the way they interact with each other, I found that they became my favourite part of the story. It kind of reminded me of Avatar in how all things with Noise are connected and as such the Spackle were seen quite often as super tall blue people in my head until I was reminded of what they really look like.

Every time the world felt safe, a forgotten factor reminded you that it wasn't and every time the fighting felt like it may be ending, the Mayor reminded you that he was still alive. Todd really becomes a man and Viola a women. Their relationship goes through many obstacles and they discover exactly what the other means to them. I wish there could have been a few more chapters describing the next few months events, though in the way Ness ends it, he makes sure you won't be forgetting his books too soon. The brilliance of this series is really quite hard to do justice to in just words. You must read them. They are bound to only get bigger and better well-known as time goes on.

Cover: Really clever and unique. Definitely worth getting the hardcover for the clear plastic sleeve with the white writing on it.

Chaos Walking Series

1. The Knife of Never Letting Go Review
2. The Ask and the Answer Review
3. Monsters of Men

I received this book from Walker Books for review. All opinions expressed here are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters of Men.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Patrick Ness
“To say you have no choice is to relieve yourself of responsibility.”
Patrick Ness, Monsters of Men

Patrick Ness
“It's not how we fall. It's how we get back up again.”
Patrick Ness, Monsters of Men

05/21/2010 page 46
05/22/2010 page 201
33.33% "A bit slower going this one"
05/25/2010 page 361
59.87% "Argh! Life keeps getting in the way of finishing this!"
show 1 hidden update…