Steph's Reviews > Queen of Shadows

Queen of Shadows by Dianne Sylvan

2142019
Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: series-ongoing, year-read-2010, favorites-2010, series-i-love, author-웃, series-book1
Read from December 26 to 29, 2010 — I own a copy

Queen of Shadows introduces us to Miranda Grey, a musician who can manipulate people's emotions through her music. She has spent much of her life avoiding people, never looking anyone in the eye, drinking and trying to keep from losing her mind.

Through random happenstance, she spots David Solomon in line buying ice cream at the market one day. She can't help but notice his stunning eyes. Being a master vampire, he can tell she has power of her own. But, they each go about their business.

Miranda plays her usual set in the club, then heads home afterward. Unfortunately, several men stop her outside in the alley and assault her. I try to avoid spoilers in my reviews, but feel this should be included so that people can avoid the book, if they wish (but, I hope you won't). The scene, while traumatic for Miranda and painful for the reader, is handled in a realistic and sensitive manner. It is at this point in which Miranda learns a little more about her abilities and meets David for the second time.

David is the King of the Southwestern Vampires of the US. He's an uber vamp, but also a brilliant computer engineer who uses technology to protect his vampires.

David is the perfect hero, I immediately fell in love with him. He has all the fascinating qualities we love in vampires, but he's also sensitive and smart. He takes in Miranda, after finding her in the alley, having seen how she protected herself. He takes care with her while she's recovering from the assault and wants to help her learn to control her powers. Miranda's growth throughout the book is believable and the relationship between them is touching.

You immediately connect with both characters, as well as those under David. His second-in-command, Faith, is a hoot. Miranda's sense of humor, despite all that she's been through, provides some laugh-out-loud moments. There wasn't a single thing about this book that I didn't like. I didn't want it to end. I cannot wait for the second book, Shadowflame, which is due out later this year. This is most definitely a series I will pre-order from now on. If you love UF with strong, witty characters, you will LOVE this book!

ETA @ 1/21/11:
Dianne added a "Shadow World Extras" page to her website. It includes a deleted scene called "The Space Between": The immediate aftermath of the climactic battle of Queen of Shadows. You can view it here .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of Shadows.

12/26/2010 page 36
12/27/2010 page 49
13.0% "So, what, you're the Highlander? LOL! I'm likin' this chicky." 1 comment
12/28/2010 page 110
28.0% ""I'm sleeping in the Slut Suite of Whore Manor?" LMAO!!! Miranda is a hoot. She's so much stronger than she realizes. And I'm diggin' David, all uber vamp." 6 comments
12/28/2010 page 289
74.0% ":( Only 100 pgs left - when's #2 coming out?!" 7 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

Shawna Great review, Steph!

Steph Thanks, Shawna. :)

message 3: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Great review, Steph. I can't wait to get my hands on this book.

message 4: by Miss (new)

Miss Great review Steph, I've added it to my wishlist.

Steph Thanks, AH & Miss. I hope you like it too. I can't wait for #2 later this year.

MelissaB I really enjoyed this book too, thanks so much for the aftermath scene, I wish that hadn't been deleted because I felt like the book ending was a little abrupt.

Steph You're welcome, MelissaB. I think it could've stayed in too. At least she gave it to us now. :)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Love the review, Steph. If there was a Kindle version available to me in the UK, I'd be buying it right now. Grrr.

Steph Thanks, Ames! :( That sucks. Hope there's one available eventually, I think you'd like it.

Kerstin Great review, Steph. I've got it sitting on my TBR pile and will get to it next month. After your review i can't wait to get started!

Steph Thanks, Kerstin. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I'll look forward to your review.

message 12: by Shay (new) - added it

Shay I just love your reviews Steph! And i'll go find this book, looks awesome!

Steph Thanks so much, Shay. I hope you enjoy the book too. Let me know after you've read it.