Krystle's Reviews > The Changeling Sea

The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip

Jul 18, 12

Read from July 13 to 14, 2012

This book is so gorgeous it hurts.

I’m serious. The prose is so beautiful you can’t help but foam in envy. Her writing has such luscious descriptions you just want to gather them all up and devour them like precious edible gold. It’s just amazing how she manages to spill her wonderful imagination out into the pages and spin a story with the skills to back it up.

Sure this novel (a novella almost, really) is short but I really loved how she takes a familiar aspect in fairy lore (the switching of babies) and places it in an entirely different setting. Her transformation of it is fabulous and I thought worked really well with the sea backdrop. The characters may not be so deeply explored but we see them shine on the pages that they are on.

The ending of this book was very quiet compared to the mysterious and overwhelming sense of mystery and pull we had at the beginning, which I think made for a nice contrast. It’s almost bittersweet but we are left with such pleased emotions after.

I know everyone has said this already but this tale is exactly that: lovely. A lovely, lovely tale with some of the most beautiful writing published.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Changeling Sea.

07/13/2012 page 29
20.0% "Wow. The writing is absolutely gorgeous."
07/14/2012 page 144
100.0% "Ah, that was nice."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne Osterlund It's a fabulous read. Enjoy!

Anne
(who has an orange kitty that rather enjoys chasing bugs)

Krystle It was lovely! I really enjoyed it.

message 3: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess I need to read this book. Seems right up my alley. Great review. :)

Krystle Yes! You have to read it. Such pretty writing. Oh, man. @_@.