Mad Dog's Reviews > Doubt

Doubt by John Patrick Shanley

Jun 30, 10

bookshelves: love-it, play, great-book-great-movie, movie
Read in April, 2010

This is a killer play that packs quite a wallop in a short story. When critics say there isn't a wasted word, I agree with them. It took me about 40 mins to read this play. This book contains the 'screenplay' for the original play that showed on Broadway.

The conflicts in this play are deep, real, relevant, and endlessly discussable. I bother my wife wanting to talk about this play. She is 'going through' a conflict that contains some similarities to the main conflict of this play. We all go through situations with similarities to the conflicts in this play. I have been labelling (in my mind of course) my co-workers corresponding to their most similar character in this story. I find myself (depending on my frame of mind at the time) either praising or criticizing the main characters. This play causes me to do (gulp) a little 'soul searching' with regards to my opinions about things and my level of certainty about my opinions.

Adding to the entertainment of this play, it contains a gripping mystery: "Did he do it?". The question is this Father: "Did ya?"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doubt.