J.C.'s Reviews > Dante's Journey

Dante's Journey by J.C. Marino

Apr 26, 10

(Review from the author)

Okay, I don't want to mislead anyone with the five star rating. I'm the author of Dante's Journey. I'm just learning about GoodReads.

But, now admitting to being the author allows me to recommend the book guilt free. :-)

Dante's Journey is an updated version of the original Divine Comedy (kind of like Smallville is to the Superboy story). Most of the characters are contemporary versions of the originals (Dante is a detective, Beatrice is his wife, Argenti is a drug dealer, Minos, Hector, Socrates, etc).

As the original, there are strong themes and statements revolving around religion, politics and the arts. It also addresses such topics as the nature of sin, man's inhumanity to man, God's plan and Satan's mission.

And, like the Divine Comedy for Dante, it also took me well over ten years to write (though I admit, there were some stretches of time where I was a bit slower than others).

There are many twists and turns in the story (as I have had many courses at UCLA in story telling), and I think anyone who is a fan of fantasy will enjoy this interesting combination of genres... think Frank Sinatra's Tony Rome in Dante's Hell.

14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dante's Journey.

Quotes J.C. Liked

J.C. Marino
“Small men command the letter of the law. Great men serve its spirit. For the spirit of the law is justice... and justice is the spirit of God.”
J.C. Marino, Dante's Journey

J.C. Marino
“In every journey comes a moment... one like no other. And in that moment, you must decide between who you are... and who you want to be.”
J.C. Marino, Dante's Journey

message 1: by Lillie (new) - added it

Lillie Roberts Hi John

Definitely sounds interesting, added to my to read list.

J.C. Hi Dottie,

Thanks!
I'm loving goodreads more and more every day, and I just joined yesterday.

john...

Shellie (Layers of Thought) You are so welcome... you can now take my name out of the review....*blush* lol

message 4: by Kira4Inu (new) - added it

Kira4Inu Your book sounds amazing! I really want to read it!!

message 5: by Tippy (last edited Aug 30, 2010 01:13AM) (new) - added it

Tippy Jackson Hi! I'm glad you joined goodreads, 'cause I have a question for you. This book definitely sounds interesting and I am always on the hunt for new fantasy. However, I am very much not a religious person. I read one review that mentioned that the religious aspect of your book didn't "beat you over the head" and was included only as it was relevant to the story. I'm wondering, do you think someone who is not at all interested in reading about religious beliefs would still find your book interesting? Or at least not offensive? I ask only because I am genuinely intrigued, but I don't want to waste my time.

J.C. Hi Tippy. I doubt you'd be offended (in regards to the religious aspect). If you read/liked the original Divine Comedy, I believe people of any belief system would be able to take something from Dante's Journey.

Externally, the story is one man's journey through an environment he knows as Hell. Internally, his journey is one of acceptance and forgiveness.

The internal journey is the true journey and is universal across all dogma.

But, I won't be offended if you'd rather not read it. :-)

message 7: by Tippy (new) - added it

Tippy Jackson Okay, that sounds promising. I think I will pick it up and I'll let you know what I thought. I really love the general idea of man seeking vengeance even into hell and of self-learning. From what I've read, it really does sound, well amazing actually. And I wouldn't want to ignore 10 years of your work! Just out of curiosity, in the original Divine Comedy, the author put random people he didn't like in various parts of hell. Did any of that creep in here?

J.C. The people that the original author did and didn't like are there (in modernized terms). For example Dante put Alexander the Great in Hell in a certain circle. So, in Dante's Journey, there's a Lt. Alexander (a Viet Nam officer) in that same circle.

So, some are the people that the main character (Joe Dante) did and didn't admire (not me as the author).

message 9: by Tippy (new) - added it

Tippy Jackson Gotcha! Thanks for answering my questions. I'm looking forward to your book.

message 10: by deborah (new) - added it

deborah Sounds fascinating! I added it to my To Read Books. I'm glad you posted your review regardless if it sounds as if bragging. Sometimes you gotta toot your own horn to get attention for your hard work.

message 11: by Lou (new) - added it

Lou Hi Jc I have been trying to track the book down on kindle will it be released as ebook?

message 12: by J.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.C. Hi Lou,

Sorry, no form of ebook is planned.
But, I've thought about the ebooks that are harder to pirate (like kindle - as opposed to PDF).