Colleen's Reviews > Hot Spell

Hot Spell by Emma Holly

Jan 17, 11

bookshelves: anthology
Read from June 14, 2010 to January 15, 2011 — I own a copy

I finally decided to finish up this book of 4 novellas in order to clean up my "currently reading" shelves, where I was storing some books that I've read, but haven't reviewed; several self help books that require some online work to complete; a couple of books that I haven't finished because they're not very engaging, and two anthologies that I have on hand to fill in the gap between novels. Plus, one of my hopes for 2011 is to finish all the books that have been sitting on that shelf for months!

What the heck was I waiting for?! When they say "Hot", they mean it! OMG Emma Holly's "The Countess's Pleasure" and Lora Leigh's "The Breed Next Door" were scorchers and not for the faint of heart! Less romantic than full-throttle erotic, but both novellas have good solid stories that most romance readers will enjoy. Those who prefer less graphic description and more romance will likely want to skip purchasing this anthology.

I purchased this book specifically to read Meljean Brook's novella "Falling For Anthony," and it's probably the least graphic romance story of the bunch. Being that it is the prequel to The Guardians series, I definitely wanted to read it before continuing on with the other novels in that series.

As for the fourth and final novella Shiloh Walker's "The Blood Kiss" ... in a word: irritating. Make that two words: highly irritating! There is nothing wrong with the story or the character's per se. In fact, had she gone out of her way NOT to copy Romeo and Juliet to the point of having a balcony scene and similar descriptions of recognizable scenes/characters--but kept to the spirit of plot--I would not have been so irritated. The first few pages almost read as if she just changed the names and wrote the play word for word, but in modern vernacular. It was highly distracting having the main characters and their families be so identical to the originals: Roman and Julianna, Wolfclan Montgomery and The House of Capiet. Actually, the latter is what completely stopped me in my tracks, made me reread the preceding paragraphs from the beginning again, and from then on I noticed how everything became a cheap Shakespeare imitation. Perhaps if she called it as Clan/Coven Capiet or even Capiet House it would have been less jarring. It is really a shame because once the action started and she let it become just a weres versus vampires paranormal action-romance, my irritation all but slipped away, and I enjoyed the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot Spell.

06/12/2010 page 102
31.0% "Technically, I've only read Meljean Brook's "Falling for Anthony" novella -- the prequel to her Guardians series. I liked it a lot!"