Ashley's Reviews > Pirates!

Pirates! by Celia Rees

Apr 25, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads
Read from April 20 to 25, 2010

I haven't read that many pirate books, but I've got to say that this is one of my favorites in that genre.

The only qualms I have with this book was:
1. The Brazilian's death was EXTREMELY anti-climatic. Nancy spent the whole book "running away" from him, he finds her, and Minerva stabs him from behind. That's it. Quick death. Not some extreme fight that I was expecting... Maybe even a little fight would have sufficed. But, hey, at least he's dead.

2. This is the second book in a row where at the end, the main character goes to do something, but then just leaves it. ("Oh, I'm going to do something important, and I don't know how it will turn out. Wish me the best!") Since there is no sequal, it leaves me wondering if she will get her "happily ever after" like Minerva. Endings like this is probably one of the things that irk me the most about some books... "The Handmaiden's Tale" and this book would have gotten 5/5 stars if they would have tied all loose ends!

It's a cute book for 8th grade and up. I'm still trying to figure out why the author decided to put an exclamation mark at the end of the title...

4/5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pirates!.