Abby Johnson's Reviews > Academy 7

Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund

Apr 21, 10

Read from April 18 to 21, 2010

Aerin Renning is a former slave and fugitive who still can't believe her luck in ending up at the most prestigious school in the Alliance. Dane Madousin is the son of an influential Alliance leader, defying all his father's wishes by enrolling in Academy 7. From their first day at the Academy, Aerin and Dane compete with each other for the top spots, but they have more in common than they could guess. Each harbors a horrible secret that threatens their success. And they'll have to work together to bring these terrible secrets to light and, perhaps, save the future of the universe.

The writing is only okay, but I loved the plot and the characters enough to make up for it. It reminded me of nothing so much as Firefly, which I looove. One great thing is that the development of Aerin and Dane's friendship felt really organic. It didn't happen overnight, but developed slowly and believably. This is not so easy to do. You get hints of a romance, but it's not steamy (read: romantically, it's a clean read).

But yeah, the writing's only okay. I'd recommend it for, like, vacation reading where you don't necessarily want to sit and ponder the artistic nuances, but you're just looking for a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Academy 7.