Brian's Reviews > The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith

The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller

Apr 20, 10

bookshelves: christian-living
Read in April, 2010

This book reveals the heart of the gospel message that Jesus brought to us through the parable of the prodigal son. Many Christians will get a fresh look at this parable from a perspective they may not have entertained before.

As products of a fallen nature we are most often self centered in everything we do. We may think that we are superior to others because we are out doing things for the kingdom, praying all the time, reading scripture, tormenting ourselves with a moralistic view of salvation, but Pastor Keller will diagnose those reactions and shine light on what it means to live out the the gospel.

This book will hopefully set you on a course that will help you experience God in the way it really was designed, that you love him because he first loved you, that you obey because you love Jesus for his work on the cross in saving you. I asked myself while reading this book; do I do the things I do because I'm trying to earn favor or am I doing it to walk ever closer with my God and my Lord. Though I know the doctrines of grace I can easily fall into moralism, this book is a great reminder of where to stand before you end up falling instead.

The book follows the majority of his sermons on this subject so if you've heard them, no need to read this book unless you are a Keller junky as I am.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prodigal God.