valee's Reviews > Hard Bitten

2320890
Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from November 10 to 15, 2011

I really disliked the ending. Not the whole book, but the ending killed all my fascination with the series. I would've rated it higher but I just can't with an ending like this one. The book was great but when something as big as this happens right at the end it changes everything. These are the reasons for why I am completely against this book:

(view spoiler)

Now for those of you who want something from me which is not a spoiler know that I'm glad I waited to read this book because I probably would have abandonded the series if it wasn't because I now know next book is already out and things will eventually get back as they should. If I had to wait a whole year after this tragic ending I don't think I would be strong enough to keep reading. Don't get me wrong, I loved the rest of the books and I KNOW things will get better again, but the shock of what happened was too much for me.

How could you guys rate this book with 5 stars?? Know that all of those who did completely broke my heart. I love this author too guys, but this book crossed the line IMHO.How can you be ok with something like this happening? It may get better in the next books but the rating is about this one. How could you rate with 5 stars a book with an ending like this one? It's ok for an author to search ways to impact and shock their audience but I believe there are some limits that should never be crossed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard Bitten.

11/13/2011
20.0% "Am I the only one who gets totally frustrated every time Ethan and Merit get together in a same place and NOTHING happens??!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

valee SH*T I just read a huge spoiler, DAMN! I'm glad I hadn't read it yet though, all those comments... they just made me feel very nervous and now I just know I wont read this book until the next one gets released because I wont be able to enjoy this book with an ending like THAT ONE! WTF?? What author does something like that?

Well I wont spoil it for anybody as "SOMEBODY" did to me but I can't understand why the author did this, are you crazy CN?? WTH?

Guys just don't say anything! I only read what happens, but I have no idea the how's or why's of it, so shush!LOL.

I was about to start this book right now and after all those reviews I read I just know it wont happen. I need a paranormal romance right now and with a huge HEA to sooth me after what I have just read. I NEED ROMANCE right now!

Sandra.D. LOL... I guess Im soo with you Vale. Im going to wait for the next book too!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I have books 4 and 5 but haven't been motivated to pick them up, even though I've read spoilers for both. I'll be waiting for your review on book 5.

Amanda i thought this was a great book right up until the last 2 chapters. then i was heartbroken. this book actually made me cry my eyes out b/c i wasnt expecting what happened to happen, i had to reread those 2-3 pages over like 2 times for it to sink in. but i love these books and Chloe oneil said for us to be patient and to trust her with the next few books coming out and merit did have that vision with Gabe. so im thinking by some miracle Ethan will be back. oneil says merit does get her true HEA. the only guy i can see her with is Ethan. that's why i gave it a 4 even though i was crushed :-(

message 5: by Pablo (new)

Pablo Martinez That the book takes a turn you don't like doesn´t make it a bad book. I think yor reasons for rating it this low are a little childish. You should appreciate that the book elicited strong emotions in you, even if they were negative ones. It's hard to build characters that people feel so related to that this happens. I believe that our tastes in books are RADICALLY different but I would encourage you to give the author a chance and see where he/she is going!

message 6: by valee (last edited Nov 16, 2011 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

valee Pablo, first of all, to know if my reactions against the book were childish I believe you should read the book first. I don't really believe you can have an opinion about it if you haven't read it because you have no idea what I am talking about. Second, I AM giving the author another chance, that's why I kept reading the series even though I didn't like how things changed.

But most important, it's not that things took a turn I didn't like. Things changed in a very drastic way, it's not that a small thing annoyed me but something really important happened on this book and makes me think that from now on things are not going to be the same.

I'm not sure why you thought it would be ok to mention my review was childish but I think I have a right to believe a rating can depend on events that unchain such strong consequences to the future of the series. I do agree it's hard to build a character that people feel so related to, that's why I will never agree that it's ok to destroy it. And as I said, that was my opinion, I never said everybody should agree or think as I do, I just expressed my frustration through the review which is something many people do after reading books on this site.
I am open to the series, I do agree it can become once again a favorite of mine, I just don't agree with the major twist the series will be doing because of what happened. For me it was not just a little change, but the end of things as I liked them and the beginning of new ones. I was ok with things as they were before.

And I definitely have faith on the author, she is still one of my favorites and I will still be reading her books because I do have faith that she can fix it, but as a reader it's my right to like more characters than others and to be completely frustrated when a character I absolutely adore stops being on a series.

message 7: by valee (last edited Nov 16, 2011 02:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

valee Although I do admit I expressed myself more dramatically and drastically than I should. I will change that, I guess I was feeling really frustrated while I wrote the review and needed to let some steam go, also I guess I needed to share the frustration and find others who felt the same way I did. But my feelings and thoughts about the book will remain. The comment, though, was really productive as now that I cooled off a bit and I can be more objective about the read.

So thanks for letting me see that Pablo.

Kathy Speaking for someone who does not have a RADICALLY different taste in books with you and as someone who is a fan of the series, I think your review expressed quite well the frustation and hurt many of us felt when we read this fourth Chicagoland book. Non-romance fans just don't understand how emotionally attached we get to our characters, especially those who are part of a beloved, long running series.

Vale, I follow your reviews because your reviews are from the heart- don't change.

valee Wow Kathy, that was really sweet, thanks.

message 10: by Pablo (new)

Pablo Martinez Ok, Ok, Ok.... I take it back!!!! Childish was a BAD choice of word. You are one of the MOST read person I have ever met. I still don't agree with your general taste in books but I really like your reviews and I usually follow them! (although you give too many stars to everything) I really like that people take some time to write their opinion about a book and not just put some stars. So, sorry if I offended you, wasn't my intention...

valee No no, I was not offended at all. Your comment made me realize I may have over reacted a bit. So thank you for that.

About giving too many stars to my books, I do that because I choose well my reads, I take my time in searching books I know I'll love. I usually read books in the genres I love the most and that also makes it more easy for me to love my reads.

Mariya when I finished HB I never ever thought Ethan was gone for good. It's like yea, right. While I understand people being upset, I was too, I just had the thought in my mind that Ethan will be back b/c seriously?! Who kills the hero of their series, huh?!

Samina ~ Escapism~ I was also so frustrated with the ending.This serious seems to be losing its charm.I hope the 7th book is better and renews my failth in Chloe Neill.

message 14: by Mariya (last edited Nov 17, 2011 07:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariya you mean fifth book if you haven't read Deep Drink? or the sixth book. seventh book isn't out like til 2013, no title, no name...haha

Samina ~ Escapism~ Oh I then meant the 6th book then.Whoops!

valee Samina I feel the same way! While I enjoyed book 5 a bit more than book 4 it still wasn't the same as the first 3 books. I really hope that with book 6 things get back to the way they used to be.

message 17: by Mariya (last edited Nov 18, 2011 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariya Haha. Book 5 completely sucked for me.

valee Yep. Writing my review right now...

:S

Lisa Hoang aka The Consummate Reader it broke my heart too. how can it possibly be okay to move on with the story from now on????