William Herschel's Reviews > The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick 2: We Can Remember it for You Wholesale

The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick 2 by Philip K. Dick

Apr 21, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, e-book, scifi-fantasy
Recommended to William Herschel by: James
Recommended for: sci-fi fans, people that have already read philip k dick
Read from April 19 to 21, 2010

Apparently I read a bad collection; earlier stories. It shows. A lot of these were very predictable.

I don't think this was a very good introduction to Philip K. Dick. I think I will read a novel next before delving into more short stories (and, if I ever do read more short stories, hopefully I'll get a later collection).

I'm told short stories are different from novels in that the characters in a short story do not matter, it's more the idea. It takes awhile to get used to this, at least for me. When reading these I felt a lof of them were hollow.

But I did get some cool ideas from these, and some were fun to read.

Here's my favorite quote, from Of Withered Apples.

"Along the edge of the field was a grove of ancient trees. Lifeless trees, withered and dead, their thin, blackened stalks rising up leaflessly. Broken sticks stuck in the hard ground. Row after row of dead trees, some bent and leaning, torn loose from the rocky soil by the unending wind.

Lori crossed the field to the trees, her lungs laboring painfully. The wind surged against her without respite, whipping the foul-smelling mists into her nostrils and face. Her smooth skin was damp and shiny with the mist. She coughed and hurried on, stepping over the rocks and clods of earth, trembling with fear and anticipation.

She circled around the grove of trees, almost to the edge of the ridge. Carefully, she stepped among the sliding heaps of rocks. Then --

She stopped, rigid. Her chest rose and fell with the effort of breathing. "I came," she gasped."

(I really do not know if this was intentional or not. Either way it makes me laugh.)

(ratings on the left)
\\
2 # "The Cookie Lady"
3 # "Beyond the Door"
4 # "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale"
5 # "Jon’s World"
4 # "The Cosmic Poachers"
5 # "Progeny"
5 # "Some Kinds of Life"
4 # "Martians Come in Clouds"
3 # "The Commuter"
2 # "The World She Wanted"
4 # "A Surface Raid"
4 # "Project: Earth"
5 # "The Trouble with Bubbles"
5 # "Breakfast at Twilight"
5 # "A Present for Pat"
5 # "The Hood Maker"
1 # "Of Withered Apples"
3 # "Human Is"
1 # "Adjustment Team"
3 # "The Impossible Planet"
3 # "Impostor"
3 # "James P. Crow"
2 # "Planet for Transients"
4 # "Small Town"
3 # "Souvenir"
3 # "Survey Team"
5 # "Prominent Author"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick 2.