Gokce ~Muslin Myst~'s Reviews > Mine Till Midnight

Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas

Apr 20, 2010

bookshelves: series, series-1st-book, author-lisa-kleypas, 2010, adult, books-that-own-me, books-i-ll-never-part-with, favourites, hero-i-loved, heroine-i-loved, historical-romance, virgin-heroine, in-my-harem
Recommended to Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ by: Leah
Read from November 28 to 29, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I usually try not to include any spoilers for a book that is the first in a series but man, I have to write with spoilers for this one because I have a couple of comments about certain parts of the book that I loved so.

I feel like I'm having a Lisa Kleypas month here, I haven't yet found time to squeeze in another author or genre yet! This book sort of picks up from where the Wallflowers series left off. It tells the story of Cam Rohan, the half Gypsy who works in Jenner's, and the oldest girl of the Hathaway siblings, Amelia.

We've already met Cam in the Wallflowers series and with his protectiveness over Evie and his sharp mind, I think it's safe to say that he earned his place in the hearts of the readers. He sure did in mine. Cam was smart, devoted and loyal. He has this half Gypsy side that makes him look at life a bit more untraditionally than the usual English gentleman. And it is this side that makes him an outcast in the society where Gypsies are known as the criminals, trouble makers. I have to say I liked the idea of a hero who couldn't truly belong to any part of his heritage. This may sound cruel but it gave the book a sense of diversity and when he finally got his happy end, it also meant more.

I liked Amelia as well. She's the oldest sister in a family of five, with an older brother who's irresponsable and uncaring. So it's up to Amelia to grasp the control of the family and try to do what's best for everyone. And I guess when you're responsable for a whole family in a world where, as a woman, your actions are limited to finding a husband to support you and those around you, it can get pretty frustrating. So I sympathized with Amelia. I gotta admit, she handled things much more calmly than I think I could ever have.

There were many other characters that we were introduced since they're all going to come together and make the Hathaways series, including the constantly drunk brother Leo, the Gypsy Merripen who's been rescued and taken in by the Hathaways, the fragile sister Win, and the more playful younger sisters Poppy and Beatrix.

Which brings me to my spoilers. First among all the people above I have to mention Merripen. He's another outsider, a Gypsy, who's been with the Hathaway family for years, he's practically become one of them. And 20 pages into the story or something we realize he's in love with the fragile sister Win. I can't believe that we've got so much intensity for those two's relationship before their own book. There are two things in this book that I'll never forget that include Merripen and Win; when Win got the scarlet fever and was bed bound, her complaining about her dirty window and Merripen cleaning it everyday saying something like she should always see a blue sky, and the part where Merripen was figthing with his burn injury after the house fire, and when Win comes in to give him a large dose of morphene in order for them to operate on him and he thinks she'll overdose him as a final act of mercy. I shed tears in those parts. Actual tears, not watery eyes, tears!

And then there's Leo. We got to see that there's so much more to his carelessness and it tore me apart. Even though he was a jerk most of the book, I couldn't blame him. He suffered so much and was in so much pain that neither could I blame him nor could I hate. And the minute I had internet access I went on to check if he has his own book and was extremely happy to see that he does. After such trauma I'd hate it if he was just passed over lightly.

Last but never least, my beloved Wallflowers. It just makes me so happy when I catch a glimpse of them in any of the future books. I loved Evie's appearance and advice to Amelia, not to mention St Vincent's brilliant mind advertising marriage to Cam! And Lillian and Marcus of course, the couple that acts as a bridge for the two series :)

So I loved this book. And I'm so thankful I discovered such a brilliant author who manages to directly speak to my heart with her characters and stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mine Till Midnight.

11/28/2010 page 37
12.0% "" A slow smile had curved St Vincent's lips. 'Wives are a different case altogether. They require a great deal of effort, but the rewards are substantial. I highly recommend wives. Especially one's own.'" -Oh Sebastian!!" 32 comments
11/29/2010 page 174
54.0% ""'Playing is for children, not adults.' 'oh, Miss Hathaway,' he murmured, leading her away from the table. 'The best kind of playing is for adults.'" - Cam, darling, you can always come play with me ;D And this good-luck curse, can it be transferred? I'm kinda tired of my bad-luck one and could use a change." 27 comments
11/29/2010 page 268
84.0% ""Cam has been an outsider for his entire life. Even when he lived with the Rom. I think he's always secretly hoped he could someday find a place where he would belong. But until he met you, it didn't occur to him that it might not be a place he was looking for, but a person." - I love Evie ♥ And how wonderful and sweet is this? "St Vincent [..] reached for his Evie's hand [..]" - Awwww.." 3 comments

Leah Great review, babe! I love this book and Cam is so adorable. I love the fact, too, that he can never really belong to either side of his heritage. It adds a certain intriguing aspect to the story.

And one last thing...WESTCLIFF! AHHHH! I LOVE seeing him! LOL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Thanks chica!!

LOL. How can we ever not mention Westcliff?! I love that man's controlling fiery nature!! Leah, thanks to you I've started A Wallflower Christmas and omg I can't believe Lillian's thinking Westcliff is interested in another woman! I wanted to smack her.

Leah Exactly! Every review of yours, from now on, I am mentioning Westcliff! LOL.

I saw your review! Holy hell, I had to fucking put the book down for a little while to try and let that absorb! I cannot believe she could ever think that of my wonderful Westy!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Lol, Leah, that's alreay happening love ;D
Yeah, I couldn't believe either! Though I could see how it looked from her point of view but man, that's so damn unfair to that man!

Thanks Suz!! :D

Leah LOL, I know! And it's going to continue, damn it! LOL

I could see how she could think that, but Westcliff just loves her so damn much that it was insulting to me too for her to think that! My poor Marcus *hugs him to me and pets his hair*

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL. I agree. Though the punishment was worth it I bet! ;D

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) LOL, whenever I think about the bit where Lillian thinks Westcliff is cheating (stupid girl!) I always think of sex in the stables when they made up! LOL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Exactly! So instead of getting mad, then, I get jelaous!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol, me too, I need to get some stables and a man to have fool around with in them!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL! What a wonderful plan!

message 12: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LMAO! We can build stables outside of the house with our dream library, Suzanne!

But yeah, I went from pissed to semi-pissed while still being jealous to being jealous. LOL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL Leah!!

Oooh, what is this dream library you guys will build?

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) LOL, he is still your man Leah don't worry : )

Oh, it is a masive library a bit like the one from Beauty & the Beast, with bookcases on every wall, and a ky light so we don't waste precious wall space with windows. It also have some of those sliddy ladders on the bookcases so that you can reach the top shelf (they are VERY tall) It also has lots of soft leather comfy sofas adn chairs with a huge supply of plaid blankets and big puffy cushions. ASWELL as all this, we have a little cabinet with a constant supply of pear brandy and plenty of nooks and crannies to get up to some mischeif in! LOL

message 15: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I'm not worried, Suzanne. Because that was clearly a DREAM that Lillian had because everyone knows that Westcliff is in fact, mine. LOL

Exactly what Suzanne said! And we are going to build that library damn it! LOL

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Wow. It sounds like an awesome library! Can I be a member? ;D I'd also help you guys build it! LOL.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) That' true, and not only was it a DREAM it was a NIGHTMARE and he just wanted to come back to you ; ) That is what Kev said to me anyways, Win was just a bad dream!

Yes ofcourse you can be a member! Your help and book collection would be welcome!

message 18: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Of course, Gokce! You might as well move into the house with us!

Exactly, Suzanne! That's precisely what Westy said to me! Harry, too, as a matter of fact! Our poor, traumatized males! LOL

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) They need alot of TLC to get over such a bad dream, and we are just the girls for the job!

message 20: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah We certainly are! And I am definitely up to the job, no matter how hard (heheheheh!) it may be!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) LMAO! I love you Leah, you are such a dutry girl LOL!

message 22: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Heheheh! That was a good one, wasn't it?! I love you, too, babe! And thank you for acknowledging my dirty girl-ness! ;P

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol that's okay, it is one of your greatest attriutes, your dirty girlness, I don't think I could be friends with someone without a gutter mind, lol they woudl think I was disgusting (which I am!)! LOL

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Awww! Thanks, chickie! It's one of your best attributes, too! LOL. Yes, I have to have friends with gutter minds, too, because other people probably find me crass. LOL

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) LOLOL I always though it was one of my strengths, maybe I should put it on my CV "I have a very dirty mind" : D You aren't crass, just filthy LOL!

message 26: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! I can put that on my resume or something!

"List your good attributes:
1. I have a very, very dirty mind.
2. Confident
3. I have a very dirty mind
4. Intelligent
5. I have a very dirty mind
6. Need I go on?"

LMAO!

Thank you, dear! I adore you and your compliments!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) LOL I think you would get the job leah, especially if that job was a stripper or if you want abit more class "Exotic Dancer" LMAO!

message 28: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL! Yes, let's go with Exotic Dancer. It sounds much more professional, LOL. I think I would be successful at achieve that goal, though! LOL :D

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ yippie!! I'd be more than happy to donate my books for our library! :D

LOL, you guys are both awesome with your dirty minds!! ♥

message 30: by Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) (last edited Dec 13, 2010 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Hey Gokce : ) Woohoo more books for our splendiferous library!

Hehehe we do have dirty minds, but I blame Leah she is leading me astray with her talk of exotic dancing and hockey sticks!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LMAO!!! Leah does that! ;D

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I know, she may be younger then us, but she is a bad influence!

message 33: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yay! More books for our FANTASMIC library! LOL

Thank you! We ARE awesome with our dirty minds!

Suzanne, don't pretend you don't love every minute of my leadership. You either, Gokce! You kinky minxes!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) LOL that's true you know I love you teaching me your kinky ways O Great Leader LOL!

message 35: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yes, yes, bow down to me and my goats! LOL!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) LMAO *bows down* Hey they are my goats!

message 37: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah You lent them to me, remember?

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I did? Hmmmm, were you feeding me tequila again and doing your puppy dog eyes! You know I can't refuse you when you do that!

message 39: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah *looks away* I may or may not have plied you with alcohol and give you the puppy dog face. I, also, may or may not have given you a few sexy, persuading kisses...

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) *narrows eyes* you seduced me again didn't you? *sighs* I have no defense against that, they don't call you tornado tongue for nothing!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ ahahaha! Tornado tongue?? Hell, I missed a lot around here! :D

message 42: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LMAO! This is the first time I am hearing about "Tornado Tongue" too, Gokce.

Buuuuuut...yes, Suzie pie, I did indeed seduce you again! You are just too easy for me to seduce. *grins*

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Leah, you're good at seduction! :D

message 44: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Why thank you, my lovely! I'm glad you think so! I have to say, though, you are one of my biggest challenges when it comes to seduction since you are so elusive. However, I'm sure I could ply you with delicious kisses! For instance...*cups Gokces face and gives her sweet, tender, lingering kiss, sucking on her lower lip before pulling away* Great, true?! ;P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Whaaa?! You already have me love, I'm part of your harem! ;D

*is disoriented after Leah's seductive kiss*

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) See Gokce, tornado tongue? LOL ; P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LMAO!! True that! ;D

message 48: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Duhhh, Gokce, I just needed you to say it! Now...*Leah sets back to kissing Gokce, more fiercely than before*

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ *Gokce sheds her disorientation and tongue tangoes with Leah*

Alright, forgive the sucky English here, I guess I'm still a bit disoriented from the kiss! ;D

message 50: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. Damn, I missed you!

« previous 1