Moira Clunie's Reviews > A Field Guide To Hyperbolic Space: An Exploration Of The Intersection Of Higher Geometry And Feminine Handicraft

A Field Guide To Hyperbolic Space by Margaret Wertheim

Apr 20, 10

bookshelves: mathematics, craft
Read in April, 2010 — I own a copy

reading this book reminded me of being twelve and learning about algebra for the first time: that maths could do more than counting, that it offered rich metaphorical ways of understanding the world. this book is revelatory in the same way: here there's hyperbolic geometry, which mathematicians theorised for centuries but didn't quite believe in until someone crocheted it. seeing the shapes graphed in wool, playing with them, we can recognise that they're everywhere - in sea creatures and curly kale and all kinds of ruffles. maybe the universe is shaped this way, maybe this explains a few things. this book expanded maths for me and reaffirmed the value of interdisciplinary thinking. also highly recommended: margaret wertheim's ted talk and the museum of jurassic technology in whose gift shop i bought this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Field Guide To Hyperbolic Space.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adrienne S. (new) - added it

Adrienne S. Great review! Did the book offer patterns so one could replicate their works?

Moira Clunie not as such - it explains how the basic construction works, and there's a photo gallery of different forms that explains how the stitch pattern differs from the basic shape. but they're not written as patterns, so this mightn't be the book to learn from.