Joyce Lagow's Reviews > Promise Me

Promise Me by Harlan Coben

2220862
Apr 20, 10

bookshelves: mystery

8th in the Myron Bolitar series.[return][return]If life were fair (it isn� t, never has been, and never will be), good deeds backed by noble intentions would always be rewarded. Problem: most of the time, they never are, and too many times, they get us into trouble.[return][return]All of us are concerned about the danger to young people; many of us complain bitterly that there doesn� t seem to be a sense of responsibility for the safety of others, particularly young people. And then someone does feel that responsibility, does take it upon himself to do what he can to protect a young woman� and as a reward, becomes the chief suspect in a kidnapping/potential murder case.[return][return]Myron, concerned that Aimee Biel, the 18 year old daughter of friends may be endangering her life by drinking and driving, asks her to promise him to call him, no matter what the hour, if she is in need of a ride home; his only concern is her safety, not informing her parents. Shortly thereafter, Myron receives a phone call at two a.m. from Aimee, tearfully begging him to pick her up in Manhattan. Reminding him of his promise, Aimee not only doesn� t want her parents to know but asks Myron to drop her off, not at her home, but at a friend� s house.[return][return]Then Aimee disappears. And guess who is the last to have seen her?[return][return]As Myron, just as worried for Aimee� s safety as he is in clearing his name, investigates, the case turns ever more complicated. Strains of this magnitude put nearly unbearable pressure on the parents; any cracks in the marriage are certain to widen and even break the structure entirely.[return][return]While Promise Me is a very good � mystery� , even more, it� s an excellent examination of the emotions and questions of responsibility of all concerned in this type of situation. While the plot is resolved, left hanging are those questions� and, in reality, there may be no good answers. Whom among us can say that we absolutely never would have done as Myron� not me. So kudos to Coben, who is writing ever more serious books under cover of the mystery genre. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise Me.