Tannia's Reviews > Our Daily Bread: Exposition of the Readings of Catholic Mass

Our Daily Bread by James H. Kurt

Apr 20, 10

Recommended to Tannia by: Review Copy
Read in May, 2008 — I own a copy

Our Daily Bread is a book of meditations inspired by the scriptures used in the liturgy of the Holy Catholic Mass. Each meditation reads as a homily and facilitates for the reader the understanding of the Word of God and its powerful message.

The book cover shows a picture of the monstrance with the Blessed Sacrament and a crucifix in the background. In front of the monstrance, there is a lectionary opened to the readings for a weekday Mass. The book received the ''Nihil Obstat'' from Rev. Anthony Figueiredo and the ''Imprimatur'' from the Most Reverend John J. Myers, J.C.D., D.D. Archbishop of Newark, New Jersey. These are official declarations of the Church confirming that a book is free of doctrinal error.

This book could have greatly benefited from an introduction to the Church's calendar and its traditions to help the reader locate the proper scriptures in the correct Church year and/or season.

I can highly recommend this book to lay persons, members of the clergy looking for a good, powerful, and simple homily, and others with some knowledge of the Church's calendar or the lectionary. As an educational tool, I could recommend this book for adult study groups and for youth preparing for the sacrament of Confirmation. The book will provide a good foundation to grow in the knowledge of their faith, strengthen themselves with the Bread of Heaven, and protect themselves from tempations with the Armour of the Word of God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Daily Bread.