Sarah's Reviews > The Other Boleyn Girl

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Apr 20, 10

bookshelves: general-fiction, historical-fiction
Read in August, 2006

Blah. Note to self: Do not read any more “historical” fiction. It will drive you insane, thanks. Really? This “novel” is nothing more than a 700 page bodice ripper. I know people say that historical fiction (and also movies) are just that, fiction. So there is no reason to get all worked up over it, but really there is. Because many people don’t just take it as fiction…just spend 5 minutes reading reviews on Amazon of this book (or not, because people rave about this book, and you’ll never get those 5 minutes back). “People” say things like: Wow! I learned so much about Anne Boleyn. Or: Cool! The facts were great! Um, no. The “facts” presented in this book were taken with HUGE liberties, and not just little tweaks. It presents a one sided view of “history” and many people take that for fact, and won’t read anything else about the era and are now going to have a pretty twisted view of the actual story of Anne Boleyn. The faux feminism also irritated me, and often I felt like I was being beaten over the head about certain points the author wanted to make regarding status of women, the Howard family, etc. And where was the editor? Seriously 200-300 pages of Anne chasing Henry in the middle could be cut and we would still get it. She wants him, he wants her, he is still married to Katherine, she is married, repeat for 300 pages. We would have gotten it after 50. Really.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Boleyn Girl.