Fence's Reviews > The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1

The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

May 27, 10

bookshelves: graphic, sff
Read in May, 2010

Where do you start when trying to review a collection like this? I really have no idea. I was going to give up before I even began; admit defeat without letting anyone know about it, but I decided, what the hell, lets give it a go.

I first read some of Gaiman’s Sandman series years and years ago. Like a genius I started with A Doll’s House rather than at the beginning, but I soon realised my mistake and retraced my steps. The first few issues never really grabbed me. But they begin the story, so you do need to start there, and then, even if you dislike them, persevere for a little while longer. Because, lets face it, the character of Morpheus isn’t really that likeable. He is an arrogant ass. But his story is interesting. And the stories and places Gaiman gets to explore through the Sandman and his sibling Endless characters are fascinating. If you like comics and myths then you should give this[1:] a go.

And there are also pretty pictures to look at.

I particularly like the Cereal Convention, brilliantly evil. And the loved A dream of a thousand cats.

Hmmm, I think this review is beginning to show why I should have admitted defeat before starting it, because I really don’t want to spoil aspects by telling you about stuff I loved. And I’m not even going to try and offer any sort of analysis because, damn, there is a lot in there. Let’s just say that Gaiman does his usual wonderful job blending horror, fantasy, myth and history into a wonderful story with so much going on that any amount of rereads will most likely be satisfying.

Before I go, the whole “absolute” deluxe treatment, can I just say that it really works here. Although it does mean you won’t be using this for commuter reading :) Now I just have to go buy Volume 2 and get stuck in to that
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 1.

05/25/2010 page 231