Amy's Reviews > The Trouble with Diversity: How We Learned to Love Identity and Ignore Inequality

The Trouble with Diversity by Walter Benn Michaels

Dec 28, 07

Recommended for: anyone who champions celebrating difference
Read in December, 2007

A very interesting, quick read on our country's obsession with celebrating ethnic/racial/religious differences and why this focus does a real disservice to creating economic opportunity for those who need it most--poor people. He also talks about how politicians have spun discussing low-income people as yet another "different" group whose difference should be respected and celebrated--which only serves to keep them in this "different" group of being poor.

To those in the DV world--you will cringe at the 2 pages the author writes about the "real" cause of domestic violence...this is the only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5. He asserts that it is not a gender issue but an economic one--he attempts to tie this up with a bow as if there is one singular cause or contributing factor to such a complex issue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trouble with Diversity.