Laurie's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

May 29, 10

bookshelves: my-favorites
Read from April 19 to May 29, 2010

Reviewing this novel puts me at a loss for words. Firstly, it is one of the most well written novel I have EVER read. Secondly I don't like history, so the majority of the book being about the Civil War was a little hard for me, considerin the book is HUGE. Thirdly the romance in this book is so tradgic and so passionate that it made me cry. The love Rhett has for Scarlett makes me weak at the knees. But the worst part of all is that it ended without resolution. HOWEVER, I understand why it had to be that way. It was none-the-less heart wrenching and depressing for me to have it end so abruptly.
I have no choice but to give this book five stars even tho there were aspects of it that frustrated me, it was simply the most well written book I can remember reading almost ever. I absolutely LOVED it. I am so glad I finally read it. Everyone should read this book. Hands down. PS: without spoiling the ending for people who haven't read it, I am choosing to believe it ends beautifully and perfect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laureen Oh how I loved this book! I read it years ago, when my daughter was a baby. Just re-read it in our other book group this January. Soooo much good stuff - remarkable insights into human nature, not just the history of the Civil War, but the Reconstruction period afterwards - it's rich in language as well. Enjoy!

Emily I'm smitten by this book!

message 3: by Camille (new)

Camille Laurie,

I smiled when I read your review. I felt exactly the same way about the ending. I read it years ago as a teenager and was so upset about the ending that I was emotional. I wanted to write the author to find out what she really felt, you know if Scarlet changed or whatever.
I have seen the movie a number of times. That also was a classic that everyone should see. Now that I am older I believe people should see it for the amazing history, and also for the character studies. One can see, with sharp contrast greed, selfishness, charity, hard work, and the list goes on. It's the perfect story of human nature.