Annii Frazer's Reviews > A Matter of Class

Jul 12, 10

bookshelves: 2010books, romance, historical, regency, mary-balogh
Read on July 12, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Description from dust flap
From New York Times bestselling author Mary Balogh comes a classical historical tale that sizzles with romance and unforgettable drama. Reginald Mason is wealthy, reined, and by all accounts, a gentleman. However, he is not a gentleman by birth, a factor that pains him and his father, Bernard Mason, within the Regency society that upholds station over all else. That is, until an opportunity for social advancement arises, namely, Lady Annabelle Ashton. Daughter of the Earl of Havercroft, a neighbor and enemy of the Mason family. Annabelle finds herself disgraced by a scandal, one that has left her branded as damaged goods. Besmirched by shame, the earl is only too happy to marry Annabelle off to anyone willing to have her.

Though Bernard wishes to use Annabell to propel his family up the social ladder, his son does not wish to marry her, preferring instead to live the wild, single life he is accustomed to. With this, Bernard serves his son an ultimatum: marry Annabelle, or make do without family funds. Having no choice, Reginald consents, and enters into a hostile engagement in which the prospective bride and groom are openly antagonistic, each one resenting the other for their current state of affairs while their respective fathers revel in their suffering.

So begins an intoxicating tale rife with dark secrets, deception, and the trials of love - a story in which very little is as it seems.

My Comments
This book was really cute! It was very short, so we didn't get the character development we usually do in Mary Balogh's books, but nonetheless, I really enjoyed it - especially the twist we discover at the end. I'm not sure I've ever read a romance novel with a twist at the end before. Very fun read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Matter of Class.