Holly's Reviews > His Dark Materials

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

Sep 03, 08

Recommended for: everyone!
Read in September, 2008

By now you probably know the gist of these books. I'm half-way through the last one, so I can't speak authoritatively about them as a series, but you can see I've given it 5 stars already. I was reading some of the other users' comments, and it made me sad.

To the woman who thinks her 11-year-old can only appreciate these books on a superficial level, you underestimate the mind and heart of an 11-year-old. She'll get more out of it when she rereads it in her 20s, but trust me, she's understanding it now, too.

For the people who are afraid of questioning religion, I can only offer my condolences and ask that they understand that religion is just an opinion and that there will never be consensus. The only way to fully understand something is to question it.

To the people who said it was too hard to picture these worlds, you're not tapping into your imagination. I'm glad Harry Potter spells it all out for you, but honestly, I think you're comparing apples to oranges. I got into this world immediately.

These books are fascinating and intricate and have fighting bears in armor!!! I'm really excited for the movie, and I highly recommend this series to everyone, absolutely everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Dark Materials.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Klein I'm a big Lee Scoresby fan, myself. Though you just can't beat the panzerbjorn.

I think it's important to question religion, otherwise how can you have faith? Faith ain't a constant unless it's constantly tested, or at least considered or contemplated. Or curried. Or confounded...

message 2: by Jon (new)