Alison's Reviews > The Diary of a Teenage Girl

The Diary of a Teenage Girl by Phoebe Gloeckner

Apr 23, 08

I thoroughly enjoyed Diary of a Teenage Girl. It has been what I was searching out for some time. I have an intense interest in the human condition but many of the recent novels I have picked up were too severe for my current state of mind. I have picked up and put down authors ranging from Lucy Greeley to Chuck Palahniuk, but Gloeckner really captured my attention with her raw account of what it was like to be a 15 year old girl with an alcoholic mother in CA during the end of the sexual revolution. Written in diary entries, its casual, simple language lends to the shock of what is occurring around the protagonist, Minnie, as well as exhibits her growth throughout the book. At the beginning the book almost comes across trashy, however as it proceeds I realized that Minnie's self analyzing is admirable and completely relatable. This novel is a breath of fresh air and Gloeckner is an exceptional cartoonist as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Teenage Girl.