Amelia's Reviews > The Exiled Queen

The Exiled Queen by Cinda Williams Chima

Jan 02, 11

bookshelves: own, 2010-2011-reading, best-action, best-character-set, best-humor, best-original-idea, best-plot, best-romance, fantasy, reviewed
Read from December 22, 2010 to January 02, 2011

Originally posted on The Authoress: Book Review and More.

First, I must say that I was completely psyched when I found out that Cinda Williams Chima had agreed to a four-book deal for the Seven Realms novels. I love this series. I feel as if it’s a perfect combination of the imagination and detail of Tamora Pierce with the pitch perfect writing style of Patricia Briggs or Maria V. Snyder. Cinda Williams Chima really knows what she’s doing and I’m glad she can put that into such huge books.

As for the characters, Han Alister really takes after Han Solo (from Star Wars), methinks. They’ve both got that kind of swagger and arrogance about them. And they’re both street smart—or in Solo’s case “space smart” I guess would fit better. But I thought Han was a bit of an idiot in this book, but in that “Ah jeez, he’s gone and been a teenage boy again,” type of way. I mean, teenagers just do stupid things but in this case, it wasn’t the type of stupidity that would make me want to throw the book across the room. As for Raisa, this chick is all over the place. At first it’s one dude, then the other but again, I wasn’t really annoyed. Raisa is presented in such a way that it makes me patient. If this were in a different setting however, say modern day, I’d be having a fit. Personally, I can’t stand anything near a love triangle because the girl is always such an idiot about it. (Except for Mercy in the Mercy Thompson series. SHE knows how to handle a love triangle properly.) But I really like Raisa’s character because she’s smart politically and that helps her in almost every aspect of her life just short of combat. And she knows how to fight! She puts up with some crap that she shouldn’t sometimes, but then again, she’s in disguise. Doesn’t mean it didn’t frustrate me to see her laying down about it.

Similar to the Mercy Thompson series, there was a fabulous mystery. Fantasies, I think, are the best to go for if you want a really good mystery that doesn’t involve a police story. Generally speaking, at least. Cinda Williams Chima presents a thrilling and intoxicating mystery. And this “mysterious wizard named Crow” deal. That was incredible! I’ve been trying to figure out who it is since the obvious suspects were ruled out (very cleverly, I might add, and very subtly) but it won’t be obvious until it’s revealed—which always gets to me because I’m not a sucker for suspense. Can’t stand it, in fact. A very poor trait for a book lover, yes? But suspense aside, this was a wonderful adventure. From beginning to end, it really got my heart beating. (I CAN’T WAIT FOR BOOK THREE!)

I absolutely adore the cover to this book. Absolutely one of my favorites of all time. I can’t wait to find out what the third cover will look like. :D

Things turned out a bit differently than I thought they would in this book, but nothing that really surprised me, romance-wise. ;) I love the ending and I can have a little hope about at least something in the next book (compare Han’s plans against Micah’s at the very, very end of the book and you’ll know what I mean). I can’t wait for the third book. (Did I not already mention that?)

If you’re a fan of Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance Cycle or any of Tamora Pierce’s novels, you should really check in to Cinda Williams Chima.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exiled Queen.

12/22/2010 page 204
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karthi how do you get to read all the new books it is so not fair