Arya's Reviews > Persephone the Phony

Persephone the Phony by Joan Holub

Apr 19, 10

bookshelves: mythology, retellings
Read in April, 2010

This was such a cute book! I am so happy that I won this (yes I won it off the internet - for FREE)!

It was so adorable! Though it was definitely for younger audiences. The plot was rather simplistic and, although it gave good thought to the question of idenitiy, it was over almost before it began.

I had problems with the fact that Hades was in school and Zeus was already grown up (Hades is the oldest!) but all in all the myhtology stuff was more acurate than I thought it would be.

I realize that I am much more hard on people who write retellings of Greek Mythology than most people probably would be for the simple fact that it is already so good that there is not much you can change to make it better (the Persephone myth - which gives Hades such a bad rap - being the exception.)

However if a young adult wants to read a variation on the story of Persephone I would not recommend this book because of its sweet simplicity. Rather I would recommend Radiant Darkness.

This book was a very viable choice for children.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persephone the Phony.

message 1: by Rostina (new) - added it

Rostina I love this book.this book is so romantic in kinds of way. That is mean when Ares said why don't you go back to that stink hole you call home? Hades doesn't look so mean or bad news he look cute.