Grace's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Apr 19, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: for-fun, only-once, psychology, eating-disorders
Read from April 18 to 19, 2010 , read count: 1

Lia, an 18 year old anorexic girl is on the brink of starvation. She doesn't know it, and she doesn't know what it is that she wants, but she is sure she wants to be thin. "Skinnier than everyone", she pledged in a pact with her best friend Cassie.

Cassie's body is found alone in a hotel room. As Lia is haunted by Cassie, she is learning the hard way what she wants out of life. It is after this that the cause and effects of life are laid out and the reader begins to understand why Lia is dying to be thin, how she trains herself, and the cause and effects of everyday life on her triggers.

So, why did I not really like this book though it spoke honestly? It didn't speak plainly. To be frank, I'm not fond of books with "purple prose". All the unnecessarily flowery language did nothing to add to Lia's story for me. It just distracted and annoyed me. Get past the purple, and it should be fine though.

I did learn many things about anorexics - which yes, I did go look up later to verify the truth - and that is the way in which the body reacts to starvation. Apparently hallucination due to chemical imbalances is possible. Crazy, that.

With all the accuracies in this book, anyone interested in anorexia should read it. If you don't like purple prose, you'd really have to be interested in the topic to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.