Jaybird Rex's Reviews > Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales

Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales by Marie-Louise von Franz

May 06, 10

Read in January, 2007

Interested both in fairy tales/horrors, and in psychology of a Jungian sort, I came to this book with an open mind and a grain of salt. It's no light read and one does need to pick up the psycho-lingo on the way through. The author (or speaker, as it were) interprets the often cryptic symbolism of several strange fairy tales you probably don't know. She does so with ease, which may leave you with something between awe and a taste of that grain-of-salt skepticism mentioned above. At points, I found easy explanations for some of the more cryptic items seemed to skirt new age in their "this is so obvious, so simple" approach.

The problem I had was that, though this book laid out a lot of answers, it didn't detail how those answers were arrived at. It was more than a little frustrating to read the fairy tales toward the end of the book, try and interpret certain things, and discover only how absolutely WRONG I was ...or should I say "wrong"? Unfortunately, the book is better at dazzling than explaining, and so the reader ends up with notes on several obscure fairy tales but a still-tentative grasp on what shadow and evil in fairy tales truly means ...and/or how to go on independently past that last page.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales.