Jen3n's Reviews > Boneshaker

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Apr 20, 10

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, history, horror, steampunk

Hmmm. Well, in the first place, this book is a very quick read. I finished it in a few hours. That's neither good nor bad, it just is.

There are several things I enjoyed about reading this novel, and a few I really did not like at all. I've always been a fan of the Steampunk flavor of speculative fiction, so it has that going for it. Plus I love the new wave of zombie-mania that has been sweeping literature and film for the past few years, and this book has THAT going for it. Boneshaker also has a quick pace, some solid action, a touch of humor, and a fair amount of historical realism tucked in between the fantasy elements. All good stuff.

But, unfortunately, this book lacks any particularly good or sympathetic characters. It also lacks any originality in the story line itself and, in some places, the dialog was unwieldy and unnatural.

I did enjoy some of the side characters, like Lucy and Swackhammer; and the story, while admittedly unoriginal, was familiar enough to be comfortable. This book isn't great literature. It's not even a "good" book, but it was a very fun yahoo-fest and a very good concept, even if the execution was a little disappointing. It's the first book in a series, and I may look into the other books for some light reading.

Mostly recommended. If you're in to this sort of thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boneshaker.