Sarah's Reviews > In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

Apr 19, 10

bookshelves: food, non-fiction
Read in May, 2008

One of the subtitles of this book is: ‘Eat Food. Not a lot. Mostly Plants.” Which seems sane, but in reality is broken at almost every meal, even by sort of conscientiousness eaters (including myself!). Two things stick out about this book, and one is that nutritional science is inherently flawed. We can isolate some major nutrients that our bodies require, but isolating them and supplementing them with artificial means doesn’t work the way we think it should. Micronutrients found in fruits, vegetables (plants), but also in animals help us process those major nutrients and we haven’t even named or figured them out. So when you eat fruit, there may be thousands of micronutrients that help you process that C or A. Also, dietary sugar (often in the form of high fructose corn syrup) can possibly lead to more heart disease than we previously thought. Oh, and thirdly, that fruits and vegetables today contain about 1/3 of the nutrients that they did 50 years ago. Major corporations have breed species to ship and ship and ship. These companies don’t breed to protect for certain pests, because they also make the spray that you have to use for those certain pests. His solution is to eat local when possible. Making and eating food should be important and even I forget that. Highly recommended.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Defense of Food.