Kireem's Reviews > The Girl in the Arena

The Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines

1919840
Apr 19, 10

I was first drawn to this book by the cover: a young woman, crouching, in a uniform obviously meant for fighting, and a shield inconspiciously hidden behind her. The idea of the novel is intriguing and quite unique. Lyn lives in a world of gladiators, a world were men fight to the for the entertainment of the people. Women are allowed to fight too, but most become wives and are trained to help out their gladiator husbands in any way possible.

Lyn is the daughter of seven gladiators. Her seventh father, Tommy, is scheduled to fight against a young, upcoming sensation named Uber. When Uber slays Lyn's father and takes her dowry bracelet, she is, by law, forced to marry her father's killer. But Lyn will do anything to avoid marrying Uber, even if it means fighting for her freedom.

Girl in the Arena had a lot of promise, but I was disappointed by the results. The beginning was slow and it took a while to get into the action, and I found that I skimmed over various parts in order to find more exciting scenes. The ending was poorly written and hastily wrapped up.

Overall, Girl in the Arena had a great concept and huge potential, but Lise Haine did not do a very good job of following through to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Arena.