Timnah's Reviews > Goth Girl Rising

Goth Girl Rising by Barry Lyga

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: comic-culture, fiction, urban, young-adult, harsh-world
Read in April, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The stark, honest truth of Goth Girl's life is not easy to make sense of, especially to her. This book is art in the same way that a Rothko painting is art. Living Goth Girl's confusion through reading the story, I came to understand for the first time some of my own self-destructive behaviors.

I also very much appreciated the inclusion of Goth Girl's attempts to define her own sexuality. Hers are the important questions of our age. If your relationship with someone of the same sex is based primarily on a desire for comfort or to replace the loss of a parent, is that the same as being gay? Is being gay a permanent, unchangeable condition, or is it a description of ongoing activity?

I think both sides of the gay rights question are too ready to push some individuals into the LGBTQ camp. They are ignoring the ongoing self-definition of the individual through her choices, so that they can use her to swell their numbers and achieve political power, or, on the other side, so they can define their own position by demonizing her.

Some of my religious friends will not like this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goth Girl Rising.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Joshua I very much appreciate your insight here and wish more people understood that self-identity IS an ever changing and evolving thing.