Schnaucl's Reviews > Stalking Darkness

Stalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling

Dec 04, 07

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, owned, read_2007, reread, december, series, glbt
Read in December, 2007

I liked this book even more than the first one. I enjoyed the slow growth of the relationship between Alec and Seregil. The ending left my teary-eyed again.

I understand why Flewelling spent so much time with Beka (laying the groundwork for book 3) but I would rather have had more time with Micum. It was nice to see Thero occasionally coming out of his shell.

I enjoyed the descriptions of Lord Seregil's home in Rhiminee. I like the idea of a Street of Lights. The society is not as sexually open-minded as, say, Jacqueline Carey's Terre D'Ange, but it is more so than most places in real life. It's a curious contrast though because it seems that people are mostly fine with houses existing for same-sex couples (Alec's initial reaction notwithstanding) and yet more than once someone mentions Seregil's dalliances with men in a derogatory manner. (Also, shouldn't there be a fifth color for bi-sexuals or is that assumed to be taken care of with the houses with multiple lanterns?) At any rate, I really enjoyed the detail of the courtesans with the discretely colored markers at Seregil's party.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stalking Darkness.