T.'s Reviews > Love and Longing in Bombay

U 50x66
May 22, 2014

liked it
Read in October, 2010

I spent 12 years trying to remember a story which I'd read in the New Yorker, and loved. For years I tried to reconstruct scraps of what I remembered about the story--practically nothing, except the image of a woman's fingers flying over a telephone keypad. Not the author's name, not the character's name, and certainly not the name of the story. Since it was set in India, I thought it might be by an Indian writer, but I wasn't sure.

At last I found it by exhaustively combing the New Yorker's online archives. It was "Shakti," from this collection by Vikram Chandra. The second I had the story in my hands again, I read it with the same rapt attention as I had the first time, and I loved it every bit as much.

Yet the other stories in the book didn't hold my attention in the same way, although they were undoubtedly well-crafted and well-told. So while one story in this book still ranks as one of my all-time favorite short stories ever, the rest of it I can only think of with a sense of spoiled and entitled disappointment. Hence the "eh" rating.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Longing in Bombay.