Niledaughter's Reviews > Snow

Snow by Orhan Pamuk

Apr 19, 2010

bookshelves: turkey, east-and-west
Read from April 19 to May 05, 2010

I read excellent reviews here ; which convinced me that I can not add any new ! but since I am a Muslim & An Arab ; I could feel a lot of the depth of this book which showed me Turkey with a very cruel -but caring- anatomy that even the brilliant sarcasm made it more painful! By considering this fictional book as a new and useful approach for me to what are not so far different wounds from ours ; I will write my words …

For me ; it is a magnificent novel , a heart breaking one ; discussing the contemporary Turkish conflict between political Islam , tradition & even on a bigger scale .. the national identity - from a side and secularism , modernization & westernization - from the other side . this conflict was presented in the novel by fanatics from both sides producing a complete bloody chaos , with the poverty & unemployment as the main feeder for its continuity ! but this analysis - which is done by both: a political & a philosophical methods - was not dry , it Was sensed through icons ..people .. lives that I can feel , get closer to & share the darkness they had in 3 days of isolation to its extreme , Yes .. the main events took place in only 3 days ! so the novel has a slow melody , but even though ; it is full of unexpected turns !

with Orhan almost taking no sides .. no right or wrong , he let me assume what I want & try to answer the un-answered questions !

Orhan is not easy to read , I stopped at his intellectual conversations a lot ; doing my best to understand . I loved his characters with their human weakness , confusion & passion , I will never forget Ka with his loneliness & desperation ..regrets & his sad love story , or his words :
”Here I am , abandoned & wasting away . I carry the scars of unbearable suffering on every inch of my body . sometimes I believe it’s not just you I’ve lost, but everything in the world “

I can not stop thinking of Blue ! how much he angered me & confused me ! His statement :”When the Ayatollah Khomeini said that (the most important thing today is not to pray or fast but to protect the Islamic faith ) I believed him ” may explain the huge range of confusing contradictions about how a religion can be manipulated with ! I could not totally hate him nor avoiding feeling sorry for his destiny , because of the blurring facts around him that leads to the uncertainty about the other face of any coin !

And the most of all :I will keep wondering about Ipek and Kadife ; their weird relation! And the feminine role in general ; keeping in mind that the suicide girls is a main debate in this novel .

I think this novel will stay with me for a long time , just keeping me wonder & cry ..?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow.

04/20/2010 page 11
2.52% "I like the way it began , I hope I will enjoy it :)"
05/02/2010 page 308
70.64% 3 comments
03/22/2016 marked as: read
show 6 hidden updates…

Huda cool!!! xD enjoy~

Niledaughter I hope so , thanks :)

message 3: by Citlalli (new)

Citlalli Have you read it already Hudita?

Huda nop I haven't, but I wanna read it, xD

Niledaughter It is hard one to be read fast !

message 6: by Citlalli (new)

Citlalli :-)))

Huda great review, got me excited to read it xD

message 8: by Niledaughter (last edited May 08, 2010 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niledaughter Thank you both :)
Huda : Good luck ;)

message 9: by Niledaughter (last edited Mar 26, 2011 11:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niledaughter Kareem wrote: "Wonderful Review!!
And good feeling from you to your nation and religion."

Thank you :) glad you also liked it ; such a complicated read !I see you like Pamuk a lot ?

Niledaughter Kareem wrote: "yes i think that i read because Pamuk writes!!
I adore books by this guy even if it is difficult to read or understand.
It's a personal matter between his life and mine.
and i am grateful to your r..."

Wow :)

This was my only read for him , I have two other novels waiiiiiiiiiting My Name Is Red and The Museum of Innocence!

message 11: by Asma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asma "...the main events took place in only 3 days" --

That's helpful!

Niledaughter Asma wrote: ""...the main events took place in only 3 days" --

That's helpful!"

I see you finished it and liked it :) such a difficult read !

I was so busy , I will try to check the group discussion thread .

message 13: by Asma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Asma Yes, ND. A unique, memorable story because of the snowy atmosphere, the distinctive characters, and the surprising events.

رناتا Definitely one of the best novels by Pamuk and one of the few books I have read twice (once in Spanish, once in Turkish). In my opinion, it is a must-read for all those that want to know more about Turkish politics.

message 15: by Niledaughter (last edited Mar 04, 2014 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niledaughter :) you speak Turkish ! how many languages do you speak ?

رناتا Spanish, English and Turkish :)

Niledaughter رناتا wrote: "Spanish, English and Turkish :)"

:) ...so You do not speak Persian ?! what language is رناتا?

message 18: by رناتا (last edited Mar 09, 2014 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

رناتا I know Persian but not well enough to claim i know it fluently. Renata is my name, it is a Spanish name :)