Avid's Reviews > Yummy Yucky

Yummy Yucky by Leslie Patricelli

Apr 19, 2010

bookshelves: children-s-book, childrens-book, read-in-2010
Read in April, 2010

Are you wondering I am reviewing this children’s book? Why, of course, because I read it. My kid is 17 months old and shows an affinity to books. He loves books with big pictures, so when I got this book for him, he was ecstatic.

Yummy Yucky is a boardbook which means no matter what my tyke does, he can’t tear it. How I wish more things in this world were toddler-proofed in this way! The main character of this book is a cute little guy in diapers and a strand of hair sticking out on his head. Author and Illustrator Patricelli cleverly uses big, clear images. No unnecessary clutter so that toddlers, who have very short attention span, can focus on that one big image and not get distracted by other background images.

Each page has the little guy doing something and one line below the image to say whether that stuff is yummy or yucky. Apple pie is yummy, mud pie is yucky. Burgers are yummy, bogeys are yucky – you get the point? Very well illustrated and an intelligent selection of substances – something that the toddler identifies.

Thanks to this book, my little guy learnt to say the words “yummy” and “yucky”. After the roaring success of this book, I am looking forward to other Patricelli books. I am especially looking for “Big Little” which my kid’s library does not stock. Anybody have this book which I can borrow?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yummy Yucky.

message 1: by Amrita (new)

Amrita Hi Anjali,
Which Library do you frequent?

Amrita

Avid I go to Just Books for my needs. They have a decent collection of children's books too. Recently, I discovered mindgym for my kid's needs. They have books, cds, dvds and toys too. The best part about it is you can take your kid along and spend a couple of hours there. My son loves spending time there.

message 3: by Amrita (new)

Amrita There is a JustBooks in whitefield where is mindgym?

Avid mindgym is on Sarjapur Road. They do have other branches, but don't know if they have one in Whitefield.