Morgan F's Reviews > Sloppy Firsts

Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty

Nov 26, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, 2000s, series, realistic, read-2011, haha, surviving-school, goodreads-author
Read from November 15 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy

Oh boy. So its, uh, been a while since I've written a review. Sorry about that everyone. College and whatnot has kept me busy.

So what is it about Sloppy Firsts that inspired me to write? Well, I loved it, for one. Look at that rating! Five stars, baby! And that's not because its a groundbreaking work of literature, but because its funny, true, and smart.

This is one of these books I've always heard about, but not one I actually ever saw myself reading. First of all its old. Lizzie McGuire was still on when this came out (and I did tempt myself into imagining a few of the characters in Hilary Duff's more eccentric outfits). Secondly, I misinterpreted the title and tone of the summary. I thought it was going to be about a teenage girl's sex life. Which it was of course, but it was smarter than I would have originally gave it credit for. And thirdly, this is the sort of book that requires an explanation. I have a snooty, English major reputation to uphold. I can't let people see myself reading chick-lit! (le gasp!) I read this at my job, with the cover flat down on the desk. If someone walked up that I knew, I would sit on it. Alas, I really should be more secure with myself.....but I did recommend it to my friends! Does that cancel out my previous embarrassment?

Anyway, Jessica Darling would have been my friend. At least, I would like to think so. She's sassy, smart, funny, but not intimidatingly perfect. I have a feeling we would laugh about the same thing, get annoyed at the same things. Some reviewers found her annoying and to that I say, "Well, duh". She is a teenage girl. As a teenage girl myself, I can say that we pretty much are all annoying. For one thing, it is all too easy to forget that high school is pretty much a universal experience. It is easier to mope and whine about life, believing you are the only one in the world who is this lonely. It's too easy to forget that almost everything you've experienced, has already been experienced, and that almost everything you feel, has already been felt. This book reminded me that I wasn't the only confused, lonely girl in high school. I would be reading along, laughing and musing with Jessica, and stumble on a quote that pretty much sums up my exactly feelings. I would pause, briefly wonder if McCafferty is a mind-reading alien or some kind of genius or something, before finally deciding she was a perceptive woman who remembers what it is like to wander those locker-studded hallways and not have a flying-fuck of a clue.

Jessica seemed like she could have been an actual person. She was a fully fleshed-out characters, as was the majority of the cast. Even the "popular" girls had their quirks which distinguished themselves from each other. And Marcus Flutie.....hot damn. Plus the writing style, which mirrored journal entires focusing on Jessica's up and downs of the year, was extremely effective in conveying the story of Jessica's sixteenth year. I enjoyed the main characters, and the characters that seemed to come in, then back out. Because thats what life does. People enter our lives and others leave them.

Overall, I'm really glad I walked into Goodwill that day. I went in expecting to buy a five dollar sweater and left with a great series to follow. Thank you, Goodwill and your $1 paperbacks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sloppy Firsts.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica Glad you enjoyed it, Morgan. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the rest of the series. ;)

Morgan F Hopefully I enjoy it just as much! I heard it goes downhill though after the second one....

Jessica Yup. That's how I felt about it, too.

message 4: by Flannery (last edited Nov 26, 2011 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Flannery I love the first couple in this series as well. Glad you're back, even if it is just a little bit. You should check out the basement of Brookline Booksmith if you get a chance--I found tons of YA for super cheap there:)

PS I was in high school when this series came out so thanks for making me feel super old.(view spoiler)

Morgan F I can't help it if I'm youthful :)

Brookline Booksmith? *writes it down* I sense this will be the destination of a weekend adventure.

message 6: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Good to see ya around here again Morg! Great reveiw:)

Morgan F Yeah, I wish I was around here more :( I miss you guys.

I need to start becoming a more active Booker again.

Hayley i thoroughly enjoyed this when I read it all those years ago (in high school too, flannery. you're not alone). i did find Jessica mildly irritating but my love of marcus more than made up for that. he's still one of my favorite fictitious boys :) IMO, series goes downhill after book two and i haven't even read the last one but will be curious to see what you think.