Mitchel Broussard's Reviews > Wizard and Glass

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Dec 14, 10

bookshelves: apocalypse, fantasy, paranormal-and-supernatural, sci-fi, series, thriller-suspense, stephen-king, parallel-universes, mind-equals-blown
Read from November 28 to December 14, 2010 — I own a copy

I will give no spoilers here, because I want you guys to see how much you NEED to read this series.

Roland and the gang have found themselves in Kansas... but not one any recognize. It appears a deadly virus has decimated the population (apparently it's the world from King's The Stand, I just found out), and other slight differences appear (basketball team and drink names). It is here, at the foot of a dangerous dimensional rift Roland calls a "thinny" and in the shadow of a gigantic gleaming glass-green castle, that the gunslinger tells them of a centuries old tale of love, adventure, and death.

This 500 page flashback really turns out to be a western love/adventure story. And, of course, in the end I loved it. Unfortunately, it is REALLY slow for about 3/4 of the way in. The first 100 pages of the actual book are of Roland and the characters we love, then you go back in time for 500 pages, and then get back to the gang. The framed narrative is great, but we all know King did this because it would have sold MUCH less if the book would have just been the flashback (which obviously, at higher than 500 pages, it could have been).

Otherwise, it was pretty amazing to see all of Roland's firsts. First love, first night of sex, first killing, first discovering a thinny, and, of course, first obsession over the Dark Tower. The romance between Roland and Susan Delgado is actually really effective. At first their long glances, rolls-in-the-hay and secret meet-ups made me roll my eyes. But then I realized what I was reading, and knew how it would end (as everyone does by this point in the series) and got serious. It's a tragedy, and the last 100 or so pages are filled with explosions, gun fights, horse chases, and tearful endings. To be able to understand the Roland we know, it was actually really important for his story to be told. And it had enough tidbits with the stuff we want (the man in black returning, mentions of the Tower, discovering 13 glass orbs that connect with the 12 guardians of the Beams and the Tower itself) to satisfy our hunger for information.

Oh and the relations to The Wizard of Oz in the end? Awesome.

I loved another Dark Tower book. Shocker, I know. And I know I am pleading here for you guys to read them, but you have to know straight up: this series requires commitment. Reading the first book and stopping is like licking the frosting off a cake and saying the cake is disgusting.

And, believe me, if you stick with it, following these amazing characters on one of the most epic and entertaining stories I've ever read, there is no way you will regret it. And hey, the first movie is coming out in May of 2013, so you guys have time!

But I think I'm gonna stop for a while, stretch out the series to last as long as possible. I yearn to know the Dark Tower's secrets, but am terrified at the same time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard and Glass.

11/30/2010 page 70
10.0% "epic fantasy with a dash of dead baby jokes? hmm. yes. very good."
12/09/2010 page 306
46.0% "Really hoping this flashback business picks up soon.."
12/12/2010 page 420
63.0% "Christmas break is ON! Let's see if I can beat last year's record." 9 comments
12/13/2010 page 560
84.0% "action! romance! intrigue! a snake that masturbates an old witch! wait, what?" 6 comments
12/13/2010 page 613
92.0% "I take back every negative thought I had about that flashback. *tear*"
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jenn Sooo good!

Mitchel Broussard i just started today and im loving it. you've read the entire series right?