Chris Blocker's Reviews > Someone to Watch Over Me

Someone to Watch Over Me by Richard Bausch

Jun 01, 10

Read from April 18 to May 05, 2010

Often in short stories, it seems that plot is sacrificed for the sake of coming across as more "literary." Sometimes it is done well, and I can applaud the author; afterward, however, I remember nothing of the story (oh, that was the story where Sally woke up in the morning, put on her make-up and... uh...)

Bausch shatters this idea of the story-less story while remaining intelligent and relevant. Here are several stories that entertain the reader but do not compromise character development or theme.

Personal favorites in this collection include "Fatality," "Valor," "Two Altercations," and "Par."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone to Watch Over Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa Pilakowski So I started rereading it now...forgot how good this was. The car wreck one was "Two Altercations," toward the end. Just reread it this morning, still think it's fabulous. Funny, though, rereading some of his stuff, how much your perspective changes from your early 20s to your early 30s, eh?

Melissa Pilakowski And yes, "Fatality" is amazing. "Par"--flat out uncomfortably hilarious.