Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > Darkfever

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning

When MacKayla Lane gets a call saying her sister has been murdered, her whole life begins to change. Determined to find who has killed her sister she decides to go to Ireland, where her sister was murdered, and try and jump start the investigation that the police seem to have lost faith in. However; things aren't quite what they seem and when she meets Jericho Barrons the whole shape of her future changes.

I loved this! I got sucked in straight from the start, KMM's writing pulled me in, until I was completely engrossed in Mac's shifting world.

Mac herself was great, she was different from the tough, sassy, warrior heroine that seems standard for most urban fantasy. She was instead blonde and sweet, with a Barbie-esque bent, only she turned into Barbie's cooler sister, with her I'm-Not-Really-A-Waitress pink nail polish, cute silver heels and trusty spear to kill any offending Unseelie accessories. As for Barrons he was a great character, you don't know whether to trust him or not and he presents a great mystery that I can't wait to unravel in the following books.

The story itself was great, it moved fowards steadily gradually unveiling the world of the fae, you get a sense of the story moving forward to some inexorable end. I think that this impression was helped by the fact that it was both written in first person and by the fact that it was told in past tense, with comments from a future-Mac.

I really liked this, the characters the story and the world the KMM has created, and I can't wait to get started on the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.

3.0% "The tears were involuntary. My soul was leaking." 31 comments
12/03/2010
12.0% "I love books, by the wy, way more than movies. Movies tell you what to think. A good book lets you choose a few thoughts for yourself. Movies show you the pink house. A good book tells you there's a pink house and lets you paint some of the finishing touches, maybe choose the roof style, park your own car out front."
12/03/2010
16.0% ""Dubh is do?" I was incredulous. It was no wonder I couldn't find the stupid word. "Should I be calling pubs poos?" - LMAO I know it is childish, but I couldn't stop laughing!" 7 comments
12/04/2010
48.0% "The way I saw it, what Barrons had just told me was this: A Faery not only wouldn't care whether I lived or died, it wouldn't even register that I was dead, just that, before, I could walk and talk and change my clothes by myself, but afterward I couldn't, as if someone had yanked the batteries out of me."
12/04/2010
70.0% "There was a mindless nymphomaniac inside me and it didn't care how many orgasms it took to die."
12/04/2010
95.0% "He'd come after me. He'd saved my life He'd patched me up and tucked me into bed and I knew he would watch over me until I was whole again."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Regina Isn't it about time you start this series? #5 is due out in about 5 weeks .......

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Is it?!

I know I will start! I have asked for the 1st book for xmas, it is one of those series I keep meaning to read but somehow never get round to!

Regina You can also read it on your PC Kindle App .....

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I know, I actually have it up right now wondering whether or not to start it. How good is it, is it the kinda book that will suck me in therefore creating a brand ne obsession ? : )

Regina I think it will! LOL. Some people don't like the heroine in #1 and it takes until #2, but I was sucked in right away .....

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Hmmm, well as it is up already, I think it is time I gave it try. It has been on my TBR pile for ages already!

Regina I hope you love it but my feelings won't be hurt if you don't ..... The order is Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever and then Dreamfever. Enjoy!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Just looked and lots of mixed reviews, but I look forward to it. I don't think I hav ever read book that had faeries in it that I have really really liked. Hopefully that will change!

Regina #1 definitely has mixed reviews, but I think by 2, 3 and 4 people are in love. I shared this series with 3 friends in real life and they loved it. Several of them are going to the booklaunch party in New Orleans for book #5. I am trying to think of GR friends we have in common that may have read this series -- well you know Mariya loves it! This was the first season I read where I realized I was a UF fan, I had read Harry Potter, the Sookie series and some fantasy, but this series opened the world of UF and PNR up to me. And I read it before Kate Daniels, etc. So perhaps that is why I was effected so strongly and why it holds a special place in my heart. :)

Regina Hmm, trying to think if I like any other series with Fae. I like the Mercy Thompson series but Fae are not the main driving factor in that series. Oh, the Dresden Files has alot of Fae in it, I like that series alot. Chicagoland Vamps has a touch of fae in it (not alot), and I loved that series. I couldn't stand the Hamilton series by Fae starts with A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton.

Mariya Yah! your reading it! finally!

Regina Mariya wrote: "Yah! your reading it! finally!"

Its not like we are pushy or anything! :)

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) I don't mind if it is a bit slow to start, I can be fairly patient if I think a book is worth it. Although I have read other series that people have said had a naff first book like the Kate Daniels and Cassie Palmer series, but I loved them from the beginning. But those series, like this one is to you, were my first UF so in my eyes they can do no wrong!

I can't stand LKH, I have only read Anita Blake, but that was enough for me, I plan never to read any of her books ever!

I know lol it has taken me ages to get to it Mariya, but I am there! : D

Mariya haha. the only other fae books i've read are only young adult ones, i hope they get more adult fae books. i think it would take a big push for me to read meredith gentry series. for kate is was hard to get through book 1 but it was so worth it, I am now addicted to that series!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Ok, Suzanne... great review. Is this a "Dhes simply MUST start this series?"

message 16: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Dhes, you MUST start this series.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Yes, yes it is! Definitely start reading this! I have seen reviews that say that the 1st book is the worst, and if that is the case I am mega excited to start the next one as I thought this was great!

♥ Sarah ♥ Hmm...I've never heard of this series before but it sounds interesting. I haven't read too many faerie books, but I do love urban fantasy so I'll have to put this on my to-read list.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Give it a try Sarah! If you like UF then you should like this : ) Have you read any of KMM's Highlander series?

♥ Sarah ♥ I haven't yet, but I do have the first one on my to-read list. I do love me a Scottish Highlander :-D

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Me too, love any Highlander type romances!

♥ Sarah ♥ Have you read the Outlander series? It has time travel and Highlanders. It's also sort of an historical romance too. I really like them. At book #5, they get a bit slow and I haven't read past book #4 because of that, but before that they're still pretty good.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) No I haven't read them yet, I keep meaning to but for some reason they don't really catch my interest. I think I probably will eventually as people always recommend them. But I am not sure!

Have you read Janet Chapman? She has a great Highland time travel series, it is a bit different from usual as it has the men come to the future and stay.

♥ Sarah ♥ No, I haven't heard of those yet. That's an interesting twist though. I'll have to check them out.

Ronyell Awesome review Suzanne! I loved this book too and I can't wait to read more from it too!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Thanks :) This series is really good, I remember reading them nonstop, I HAD to start the next one straight away!