Bryan Glosemeyer's Reviews > Angelology

1943691
Sep 01, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, mystery
Read from August 16 to 31, 2011

It's been about 15 years or so since I picked up a book and not finished it. I hate not finishing books, it leaves me with strange, unpleasant feeling to do so. But not this time. Fuck this book.

I really wanted to like this book. I was pretty excited to get to it. I love contemporary dark fantasy and I've longed to see something new and cool done with Angels. The 90s movie The Prophecy really tried, but fell short on many levels.

And the book was so well reviewed: NPR, USA Today,NYT... I thought, oh, this must be the one. Wrong.

On a positive note, I'll say that she can write a nice sentence. And that's about it. Because what she actually puts into her well written sentences is uninteresting and unbelievable. Her similes and metaphors just simply lacked truth.

And this lack of truth was prevalent throughout the book, sucking out all life. Her characters are flat and lifeless. Her dialog is flat and lifeless. Her plot development is... well, you see where this is going.

And I was hoping for some cool metaphysics, some mind expanding reworking of our ancient myths, something, you know, not lame. But the mythology of the book requires a literal interpretation of Old Testament events. Really? Yes, really. All centered around a literal interpretation of Noah and the Ark. Really. Cause there's a myth anybody with basic understanding of reality will buy into. Let's use that as the foundation.

What kicked it for me finally: atheism is the conspiracy of the dark angels/nephilim to gain power. ok, I see where this is going. and I'm not going there with you.

Don't believe the hype, don't get suckered in by a pretty cover, don't waste your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelology.