Leslie's Reviews > A Woman in Berlin: Eight Weeks in the Conquered City: A Diary

A Woman in Berlin by Marta Hillers

Apr 18, 10

Read in April, 2010

** spoiler alert ** It is hard to decide on a rating for this book, I can't really say that I "liked it" because why would anybody like reading about yet another horrible aspect of WWII? I was unaware of this historical part of the war, namely because, as the book states, this manuscript was hidden for a time. It is unimaginable the things the people of Berlin, especially the women, had to endure at the hands of Stalin's army, and the aftermath that it caused. When you hear stories like this, it is a wonder that we survive each other, but since I am not a pessimist, I do know that human nature is capable of humanity as well. What I really found amazing is the continued positive attitude of the author, wanting to survive and remain in this life and contribute positively to the world, despite her situation which she had no control over. What I hated was that in the end, even the one human she thought she loved the most was unable to endure and cope with what she went through while separated from him, even while she was trying to overcome it all and rebuild her life. I would have liked to know her final outcome and more about how she climbed out of the hole of conquered Berlin.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Woman in Berlin.