Amy's Reviews > The English American

Apr 17, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, read-in-2010
Read from April 17 to May 01, 2010

I liked the premise of this book, but overall I was a little disappointed. The basic story is that the main character was born from an American birth mom and adopted by a British family as an infant. Then as a young adult/20-something she meets her birth mom who turns out to be from the American South. As an American myself who spent a semester abroad in England in college and who has always been a bit of an Anglophile, I usually enjoy the contrast of American vs British society/mannerisms, etc. But this turned out to be a little too much repetition of "In England we do things this way, why do Americans do it that way?" "In America they call it a purse, but in England we call it a handbag" etc etc. The storyline was vaguely amusing but didn't really draw me in that much. Overall it was a light, easy read that covered complicated issues like identity, adoption, and nature vs nurture while trying to make you laugh at the same time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The English American.