Mandy's Reviews > Rodrick Rules

Rodrick Rules by Jeff Kinney

May 06, 2012

Read from April 17, 2010 to March 01, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

March 1, 2012-
(Reread this book a 2nd time to take an AR quiz on it and to show my students I've read it and remember details from it to discuss with my diehard Jeff Kinney student fans...)

April 17, 2010-
Today I got to hear author Jeff Kinney speak at the Texas Library Association convention and it made the reading of this book even more enjoyable! His humor from the book was originally intended to be directed to an adult audience to reminisce about the the things in childhood that we can now look back and laugh at. So although many see the characters in this story as being mean and disrespectful, Kinney had no intention for them to be role models for his younger readers. He today in fact shared that if children in the 3rd grade or younger read his books, they most likely will not get the humor involved. Kinney also commented that he felt honored that his books draw reluctant readers to reading, and that he hopes that they will become hooked on reading and find other author that they will be drawn to as well.

In Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules, Greg and his brother Rodrick are fighting more and more as many siblings often do. Mom steps in and tries to help, but her "solutions" often cause even greater problems that she is usually unaware of. Rodrick forces Greg to do his bidding with the threat of if he doesn't, he will tell everyone a big secret that Greg has been desperate for no one to know. Throughout the story, Greg shares his second diary's installments of his life's ups and downs, along with trying to think of ways to not let his secret that Rodrick holds over him get out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rodrick Rules.

message 1: by Lori (new) - rated it 1 star

Lori Thank you for sharing this. The intent of the author when writing this book helps me to learn that this is likely NOT appropriate for my 2nd grader.