Margaret's Reviews > Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men by Gerald N. Lund

Apr 18, 10

Read in February, 2003

Fishers of Men is about a fictional families who lived around the time of Christ. The story starts when Jesus starts his ministry. One of the families is friends with some of the apostles and they witness the miracles and teachings of Jesus first hand. It goes through each one of the characters conversions to Jesus being the Messiah. They each have their struggles they have to overcome to realize he is the promised one.

This was an excellent book to read. Not only because I learned much about the people in the time of Jesus but because I feel like I have lived through them now. I feel like I was there when Jesus healed the leper, feed the five thousand. I feel much more connected to the scriptures and the stories seem so much more real to me. Gerald Lund does an excellent job with educating you on all aspects of life during that time. I better understand the different classes of people and why there was so much anger between them.

My most favorite part in the book is when the main character, Simeon, goes to visit Mary, the mother of Jesus. He went because Peter, the apostle, asked him to because Simeon was struggling to understand the purpose of the Messiah and Peter thought having a conversation with Mary would help Simeon to understand a little better. The way Gerald Lund describes Mary’s experiences of being the mother of the Son of God was so beautiful. I came away from reading the passage feeling much wonderment of the miracle of Jesus and that he is literally the Son of God.

There are two more books in this series. The book leaves you hanging in the story of the characters lives so I am anxious to read the other two books.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fishers of Men.