Mariel's Reviews > A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Dec 01, 2010

Recommended to Mariel by: beaten to the punch
Recommended for: clowntime is over
Read in December, 1992

The gremlin got wet from all my mentions of dick(en)s and now he's ferocious! Now is as good a time as any to review Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol. Before he holds a red eye dinner party for his red-eye friends and they eat me for dinner...
The idea was amazing. Ghosts of past, present and future? I love it. He could've time traveled and written this baby for me. Regret, cold-heartedness, chains of the past, fear... Side track, I like the '80s ya novel The Agony of Alice by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. It captured those memories very well. Alice will really agonize over any embarrassing mistake she ever made. I used to torture myself over things that no one else even knew about. "If for that one thing I'm the biggest idiot who ever lived. I'm bound for hell." If a ghost of any time ever comes to take me for a magical mystery tour I'll probably turn tail and run (unless it's Beatles. I'll come back to all men who brag about watching the Ed Sullivan show when it first played on tv that *I* was a regular at the Cavern). Anyway, I liked that book because she just learns the simple old lesson that nothing is forever. I find that comforting. I didn't like the big old grand gesture. What did Bill Cosby say about his kids getting a nicer version of his mom because they got "an old lady looking to get into heaven"? It's that. Live how you wanna live. If it is really killing you to be alone, yeah you could learn to be less of an abrasive asshole. But you don't have to give your entire self either. At least, that's not what I want to hear...
Life affirming? No. Restorative to my faith in humanity? Nope. Just a good idea that could have been AWESOME.
I've got this quote on my gr profile even though it actually bugs me a bit:
"There are 500 reasons I write for children.... Children read books, not reviews. They don't give a hoot about the critics.... They don't read to free themselves of guilt, to quench their thirst for rebellion, or to get rid of alienation. They still believe in God, the family, angels, devils, witches, goblins, logic, clarity, punctuation, and other such obsolete stuff.... They don't expect their beloved writer to redeem humanity. Young as they are, they know that it is not in his power. Only the adults have such childish illusions." - Isaac Bashevis Singer

Noooooo kids aren't gonna read my goodreads reviews?! Whoops, not that part. Don't do things to relieve guilt. But not to get rid of alienation?! If this is a standard to judge childishness by than yes I am a child. It's called getting to know other people. It's not because of what will happen to YOU if you don't. That bugs me about 'Carol'. The old lady looking to get into heaven, indeed. I don't care about redeeming humanity. That's not ever gonna happen. I don't wanna feel like I wasted time talking to someone who didn't get it or give a shit. Is that so childish? (Singer is one of my faves though. No matter what he says. The Family Moskat appeared to me twice during the loneliest times of my life. It'd be there sitting on a book fair table. I already had it and all, but it was like "I'm here for ya, Mar!" all the same.)
Fuck!!! I was gonna write this review using entirely unused words from the English dictionary. Y'know, to sound made up like Dickens. Consider that a spoiler for future Dickensian reviews... (That sounds almost dystopian, the idea of another Dickens review by me. It sounds... Dickensian.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Christmas Carol.

Mariel Troll: Gremlin a relative of yours?

Look who is talking!

message 2: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" So would that be "Dicktopian"? :D

Mariel hahahah yeah!

message 4: by karen (new)

karen what is happening in comment number one?? are you losing your mind, or is this some sort of twin symptom?

Mariel My twin told me for real I should be flagged for this review and it is "gross".

message 6: by karen (new)

karen i like this review. it is wacky

Mariel Thanks!

message 8: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry I hate Dickens but I love A Christmas Carol. Sounds like you are the opposite.

Mariel I wouldn't say that exactly. It's love/hate.

Mariel I saw the action figure for that Gremlin in Toys 'R' Us when (desperately) trying to find a suitable present for my baby neice. I was soooo tempted. Babies love Gremlins, right?

message 11: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry I had friends who structured a bedtime ritual for their very verbal baby around a gargoyle statue. She every day hugged and kissed the gargoyle before bed, after saying goodnight to all the people present.

Mariel That's so cute!