Rachel's Reviews > The Ring of Solomon

Jun 22, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: 11th-grade
Read from December 18 to 19, 2010

Revisiting the world of Bartimaius, fans will be rewarded with everything we loved about the original books: a fast-paced, entertaining adventure with a satisfying ending. Most importantly, there's Bartimaius himself, back with his footnotes and customary cheek.

Bartimaius is one of the most unforgettable and entertaining characters come to kid's fantasy in the past few years, and there's no doubt he could carry several more good novels like The Ring of Solomon. Surpassing the original trilogy is a different matter. I like the character of Asmira, but she is nowhere near as wonderfully flawed as Nathaniel was, nor did I want to root for her as strongly as I rooted for Kitty. The whole book lacks the epic urgency of tone achieved in the trilogy. Since this is a stand-alone novel, perhaps it's not a fair comparison. But now that Stroud's proved he's still got his skill (and his sense of humor), I hope he'll branch off into something different and uniquely wonderful.

I should also mention the nice cover illustration, which makes me grateful that Jonathan Stroud's books are shelved in the children's section. If this was a YA book, there'd probably be an edgy, dramatically angled shot of Asmira and Bartimaius as airbrushed teenagers, though we all know that Bartimaius' preferred form and pose would be a hideous goblin blowing a raspberry. Apparently us adolescents are too hormonally charged to appreciate that.
37 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ring of Solomon.

05/05 marked as: read

Daria That was my reaction. I took a doubletake at my computer screen (on fantasticfiction, this was), began hyperventilating, walked around my room once with my eyes closed, and looked again to make sure it was still there. Then began hyperventilating once more. :]

PS - You know you've got the story, right?

Rachel This makes me want to go reread the entire trilogy, just to relish the fact that there's more to come.

Yes, I know I've got it, sorry for the delay! After my AP Chem final this Monday and Tuesday, I'll have my life back.

Daria Teehee, airbrushed teenagers! :D So true, though - they'd be presented as love interests or something in the artwork. Now that Bart would find disguisting.

I really do love the U.S. covers of the Bartimaeus books, though.

Rachel Yup... and not just because they offer hope to aspiring illustrators. On an unrelated note, is it my turn with the story?

Daria Ah, no, no, it's mine... I should get on to that.

hpboy13 You are too right about the YA cover thing! Though I always wondered what it was about this series that makes it MG, other than Nathaniel being young in Book 1.

Florrie It's spelled Bartimaeus.